LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

FWIW, I quickly read the article and didn’t see anything I disagreed with. Of course, I’m happy to blame capitalism for anything and everything.

For me, since I accept his thesis, the question is, what are we going to do about it? He doesn’t address that, although that’s understandable because I think the audience for this piece is people who need to hear the point of view and be convinced of its merits.

Just my $0.02 after a couple beers and a stiff pour of bourbon.

1 Like

I thought it was good. I wouldn’t call it “great” because it was only a very high-level examination of the issue, but as an opinion piece it was fine. The main premise seems almost self-evident, but as he says, we’re fighting against at least a century of indoctrination into the idea of black neighborhoods as war zones.

Regarding “he doesn’t address that”:

The only thing that will stop murders in black neighborhoods, or in any neighborhoods, is a higher standard of living, not laws that will be enforced through a racist lens. Economic improvement will happen only through a mass radical movement to create a system in which the people democratically control the wealth that we create with our labor.

1 Like

Yes, he does “address” that with the above, but I personally am stuck on how to get there (“a system in which the people democratically control the wealth we create with our labor”).

Not knocking the piece, it’s solid and important stuff. To me the key is the word “movement” and I honestly don’t know what it takes to build and sustain one.

vote for Bernie and AOC?

His premise is that it’s not guns causing the shit but inequality that persists still yeah? But he ends with affirming his premise really but I thint that’s proven in any reality we live in. Dude’s fitting this in an editorial and some songs. I’m pretty sure MLK and others have echoed the same.

Guns are sometimes the GTO strategy for addressing inequality, given a certain level of inequality. Decreasing inequality changes the math, which can make guns a less efficient strategy.

But he’s talking about how the Democrat strategy of gun control is less important than pushing for Bernie/AOC type plans that raise standard of living.

I thought I was agreeing with that.

Crime is high in areas with high inequality because being a criminal is a more rational life strategy if things are bad enough, therefore addressing inequality does more than cracking down on crime or pushing gun control. Am I not restating the idea in a different way?

No, you were right. I was saying that he’s doing just that.

Sorry I’m not going to be able to do this justice, but…

To me the word “movement” isn’t entailed in voting for political officeholders. It’s more about convincing a critical mass of people to all pull together to try to achieve some goal. Whatever it takes, be it strikes, boycotts, occupations, whatever.

Sure, voting in specific supportive politicians might in theory help, but it honestly is not even necessary. Because if enough people exert enough pressure things will change.

I know that’s pretty hand-wavy and glosses over a lot of stuff but that’s the core of my take.

Like I said I am absolutely not arguing against Boots’ thesis and I’m glad he’s out there with this message.

3 Likes

Meanwhile in Straya

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/1320552614241529856

Kangaroo unbackable fave. Koalas have sharp claws, but they’re too slow.

wtf kind of kangaroo has a go at a koala? should be deported. Where’s Pauline?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1320541153889001473

1 Like

I only made it half way through your post. I need to really start working on my attention sp

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RNS/status/1320009653963599874?s=19

tots and pears

7 Likes

The protests started over a small hike in metro fares, then exploded into a broad reckoning over inequality that shook Chile for weeks. Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators poured into the streets, calling for sweeping change in their society, with higher wages and pensions, better health care and education.

The movement soon seized on a vehicle for their demands: Chile’s Constitution.

The existing charter, drafted without popular input during the military dictatorship of Gen. Augusto Pinochet and approved in a fraudulent plebiscite in 1980, was widely blamed for blocking change — and seen as a lingering link to a grim chapter in Chile’s history.

On Sunday, just over a year after the massive demonstrations swept the nation, Chileans voted to scrap the dictatorship-era document and write a new one — a process that could transform the politics of a country that has long been regarded as one of the most stable and prosperous in Latin America.

3 Likes

put down the keyboard and get out there and start making moves

LOL this obituary.

1 Like

I come out of my doctor’s office and one of those gigantic new $70k trucks that just dwarfs my FJ Cruiser, lifted with big tires, is parked next to me with this on the rear side window. Yeah dude - your life is so fucking hard, you’ve really been backed into a corner with no recourse but to start shooting.

2 Likes

Maybe that’s NBZ’s truck