LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

Boards of Canada > Autechre > FSOL > Aphex

Lifeforms > ISDN > Dead Cities

Also, Tomorrow’s Harvest by BoC seems to have been overlooked by most people, including me when it first came out. I revisited it a couple years back and it’s been in constant rotation since. It’s really, really good.

You’ll have to listen to an entire album to find out!

Grumpy old man alert!

This use of “low key” in the middle of sentences is driving me nuts. Even after googling I can’t figure out what it means.

Like what does “low key my freezer isn’t working” mean?

In this case I would take it to mean that while their freezer isn’t working, they aren’t really worried/bothered about it not working.

1 Like

Lifeforms is so good. Have that and Dead Cities on OG vinyl. I have some catching up to do on them. They put out 3 albums this year. One of them is just a bunch of remixes of Cascade but that’s probaby a good thing.

Are you familiar with the Orb: Orblivion?

Only other album I can think of in the psychedelic idm/ambient masterwork category would be this hidden gem. Ive only listened to it once and am planning the next time like an event. It’s that good. Early 90’s Japanese Acid with trap/dubstep seeds deep in the mix.

I vaguely remember that Orb album, but I mostly stopped paying attention to him after whatever the album with Little Fluffy Clouds was.

I’m not sure about that one. Honestly, Orblivion is probably the only memorable album of their’s that I know as they were more known for their super creative arrangements during their live shows back in the day.

Orblivion is a masterpiece of dark energy. Essential listening for the category. 1 minute in and you can already feel it kicking in. Been down in the fuckin depths with this one a few times.

Weird, I remember that album cover being in my collection more than I remember any of the songs on it. Little Fluffy Clouds was their first big hit (relatively, as these things go). It was all over college radio circa 1991. Rickie Lee Jones - the woman sampled extensively on it - took legal action over it.

If you want a master class in knob twiddling minimalist techno you can give Richie Hawtin a shot. This album rewards careful, patient listening in way few others can. Also, he’s an actual Canadian so he should get @anon46587892 's approval.

If you really want to go there, I suggest some Lustmord. This album has one track that’s 75 minutes long. And as dark as it is, it’s still not his darkest work.

4 Likes

I’m loving the direction this thread is going in ATM.

Oh yeah. Richie Hawtin is a legend.

I’ll give this Lustmord a few listens this month. Sounds pretty fuckin ill.

Still have a pile of fresh vinyl I still haven’t listened to yet. Metal Gear Solid OST being at the top.

That Lustmord track led me to this spot in my mind:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1306711624301064193?s=21

3 Likes

Good job giving this guy $100 million Spotify

4 Likes

Meijijingu has a lot of tittles in a row.

He’s just asking questions.

1 Like

Joe Rogan can fuck right off.

1 Like

Listening to 300 or so episodes of Rogan is one of my greatest life regrets. What a chode.

SMH, I see the word ‘organizing’… the last thing I’m thinking of is atomized individuals volunteering to phone bank for some major party candidate. Posted here to LOL w/o disrupting the ‘organizing’.

Well I’m using the campaign definition of the term.

If you have any suggestions, feel free to contribute.

I don’t have any suggestions for how to phone bank harder. I do have a Q about how phone bankers are trained to handle a certain kind of contact however.

• Banker: Hello, sorry to interrupt. I’d like to talk about politics.
  • Me: Well sure, I’m a labor activist. I like talking about politics too.
  • Banker: As you may be aware, J.Biden is competing in POTUS BOWL, and he could use your vote.
  • Me: As you may be aware, our union is involved with the biggest prison strike in US history, and we could use your help doing outside strike support.

by suggestions I mean candidates you might know of that could use support. If you actually read the thread, Biden isn’t our only option.

Might even do more than one and rotate candidates.