LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

The idea of so many people having and using dachas is very cool. Pretty wasteful though.

I know they’re small. For one, it’s hugely extravagant for anyone in the USdA to have a vacation property at all. Partly that’s owning the property, but partly in having the time and ability to get there and stay there for any length of time.

I just mean a house, any house, that’s empty for most of the year, is pretty wasteful. The longer you stay there, the less wasteful for sure. How long would you stay there? A month? All summer? Do people go there and still commute to work?

Seems more efficient for those things to be shared/airbnd’d.

:rage:

I imagine it’s not hard to find plots of land in Russia that no one wants to live in all year long.

It’s not that hard to find a cheap plot of land in the United States either. Yet somehow finding one, buying one, putting a little house on it, getting there, and having any free time to spend there is pretty extravagant here.

It used to be more common when it wasn’t a 6 hour drive from Boston, NYC, LA, etc. to find something affordable.

My grandfather was a grocery store produce manager his entire life and he owned a beachfront cottage 60 minutes from Boston. Impossible for blue collar workers and most white collar workers these days.

Beats making a den from tenement doors alough we got carpet… :blush:

1 Like

Places like those existed in the Czech Republic back when it was Czechoslovakia.

Now they’ve completely changed. They’re now more like conventional bungalows that are modernized rather than what you showed. They might not necessarily have all of the luxuries of the city but they at least have proper plumbing and electricity.

1 Like

Sounds like the US is one doing it wrong, imo.

Yeah, dachas seem roughly equivalent to the lake houses and hunting cabins that were fairly attainable for much of the US working class up until maybe the 80’s.

1 Like

I knew a Czech girl in the 90s whose family had a summer house (her phrase) outside Prague somewhere (can’t remember where). It was very pleasant.

Obviously the Communists had taken it from the family, but it was returned to them later.

Yeah it was pretty common to have one. They’re called chatas or chalúpkas. In the 50s and 60s, they looked more like what lapka posted. As time went on, they became more for rest and relaxation. Now with international travel so easy, travelling there is less common for their owners. Most of my students have parents who own them but they mostly rent them out to tourists in lieu of visiting them.

Lake cabins are very common in MN. It’s a main past time for a lot of people in the summer, go to the cabin for the weekend and boat, fish, golf, chill out

1 Like

Sounds awesome. I did pick strawberries when I was a kid, but I’ve never worked in a cool farm where you got to camp in an old school bus.

1 Like

You can be a grown-up. I’m older than you. I’ve spent 30 years as a grown up and 20 raising children. I’m ready for second childhood. Maybe in ten more years you’ll have it as a game too. I’m fantasizing about 2 or 3 years from now.

(And you’re one of the least grown up people around here (compliment obv). I wanna be even more childish than you.)

2 Likes

You’ll be there in 10 years or so.

Possibly, but I’m going to change things up at least somewhat when the kids are out of the house. I’m not waiting until I’m too old to enjoy things that are a bit strenuous or uncomfortable. In 10 years I’ll be 62 and a very healthy 62 is pretty good, but you never know.

1 Like

Clearly the AI has picked up on the realities of quarantine

Looooolllll OK I get that I’m late to the AI Meme Generator craze but it’s amazing. “When Republicans propose UBI during a pandemic”

wtf

I think I broke it