LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

or the insertion of “is” after Supreme

Silly question but…How do you go about cutting a hole in the side of a bucket? Explain this to someone who doesn’t own a bucket or a fan and whose cutting implements are all kitchen-related. What kind of bucket would I buy?

KFC bucket?

3 Likes

In my experience, and I’ve spent my time in ‘The Valley’, this is false. The best The Missile ever had was a “cool bedroom” with a window unit. Of course, it was too hot outside the cool room, but too cold for her liking inside the cool room… so she would always burrow deep under the covers (inside the cool room) when the temp was 100+.

Today it’s so hot (with no AC), and the air is so putrid, that I’m concerned for and keeping close eye on Sabo the dog. He’s doing fine… but he’s got that fur coat and those tiny little lungs. It’s hard on him I can tell.

I’m going to just appeal to my own authority here. My experience with electrical systems in the San Fernando Valley is quite extensive. I’ve* probably put solar on 300 or so houses in the valley.

As a side note of interest, the SFV had some neighborhoods that were in on AC very early - some time in the 60s - and there are still some houses that have two separate services with one just for the AC. Those AC services have disconnects on the utility poles so that LADWP could go around and turn them off to avert a blackout.

(“ubiquitous” is obviously hard to define. I guess about 70% for single family houses.)

*eta “I’ve” is an exaggeration. At one point I had regular employees and we all did a lot of jobs and in those years we worked more in the SFV than anywhere else. I put my hands on the vast majority of those jobs at some point as I’ve always worked on the front line, but it wasn’t all me. Nowadays when I put solar on a house it’s almost always just me, but I only do one or two houses a month.

My first impulse was to try to melt a hole in the side of a bucket.

Yeah, if you even think about doing it with a knife go back at look at Johnny’s pics of his mutilated thumb.

This could maybe be done with a utility knife that has a retractable blade and you have it barely exposed. A hole saw is obviously the way to go.

That might work. Take a metal pipe the size of those plastic pipes you are going to use and get the tip red hot.

OK, I’ll defer to your experience. I went looking for stats and found the above. I would have snapped taken the under at 70% for the LA metro area.

1 Like

I hope you enjoy the few remaining years where your children don’t openly mock you for this, because once it starts it will continue for the rest of your life. They’ll be telling stories about Dad’s ice bucket fan thing at your funeral.

3 Likes

For me it’ll be how I heated the back room by putting a mirror in the back yard and having it reflect sunlight through the sliding glass door.

3 Likes

Especially if he electrocutes himself while setting it up.

lol

EXTERMINATE!!! EXTERMINATE!!!

5 Likes

This is why I don’t have children. I could never handle that level of scrutiny.

I get that reference!

1 Like

Did it work?

Nobody made fun of him for it (until now I guess), but my dad built a failed solar space heater. The living room and dining room in family house have a south face onto a side yard. My dad built a long room with a south facing glass wall just outside… just wide enough to hold a double stack of big barrels filled with water. There were also of fans to move the (allegedly) heated air into the rooms.

who the fuck is living in new orleans without air conditioning?

1 Like

or Vegas!

actually, what’s scariest is Phoenix isn’t showing up, so it actually has a lower percentage of homes with AC than Vegas or KC. How possible?

I was part of the 0.7% who went without AC in Austin for quite a few years. Didn’t have it at home or in my car. I was younger and hardier then.

Yeah, it worked well. Like, you know I’m in SoCal, so the very coldest daytime temps are in the 40s, but it warmed the room up maybe as much as 10 degrees.

If your dad’s thing was in San Diego…I would have gone without the thermal mass. On a cold day it’s good to create a warm room and move the air, but make the most of that during the day. At night who cares if it’s cold? The barrels are just going to moderate the temperature.

eta: Also I wonder if your dad’s problem was the glass. It’s cheapish to do that with single pane and pretty expensive with the right glass with high emissivity (let in radiation heat) and highly insulating (keep the heat in) windows.