LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

another day, another kim jong un in a coma internet rumor

and now I’m headed to predictit

I know I keep repeating myself, but the key to being a serious-business reporter is to always pretend to be an absolute moron. Why is this gross old man doing sexually suggestive shit in front of teenage girls? Gee, I just don’t know, real puzzler there. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he wants to bone them.

5 Likes

St. Augustine would be pretty proud of his game here. Just make sure to say sorry later Jerry.

I’ve seen many things in many gyms, but I’ve never seen this. It’s not even a real workout. I mean is sorta hits some muscles, but not efficiently or effectively, and it’s generally easier to add more plates on a bar than to have humans stand on it. Hell, “don’t have people stand on your bar” is more or less an ironclad rule of weight lifting.

2 Likes

I expected blowback for this one. I dont’ agree necessarily or even understand his point but lol’d.

He’s kind of an old school non-pc weight training guy from the TX/OK border with a lot of experience and more of a scientific orientation than many bro lifters. Reminds me of my high school weightlifting coach (best in the county) who also taught honors english. The content looks good so I ended up buying his book, as I need to bone up on weight training info. https://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/0982522738

1 Like

It’s all the H&F section of 2p2 accepts. I learned it from watching them. It’s legit though. I’ve not stopped on progression through 15 sessions and my diet will be the issue stalling my gains. I can’t eat 4-6k calories with that protein intake without sitting home all day eating. GOMAD doesn’t even get me there. i’ve been drinking a gallon of whole milk a day and eating as much as I can and drinking alcohol calories while smoking weed all day and getting more definition in my abs so far.

1 Like

Power cleans are really fun and weird to grasp the fluid motion for even though I’m pretty coordinated, lol. I have never done them before starting this. My high school sucked.

I’m just doing dumbells, with sets of 8-12 per exercise. He probably regards this as anti-strength (and considers dumbbells somewhat of a newfangled invention), but I’m going for cardio as much as strength. I assume his book will be against some of what I’m going for, but I plan to read it for form and other relevant information and tips and to disregard some of the advice. My high school was pretty good, we were in the same sports league as Tiger Woods and Kris Kluwe and regularly had D1 recruits in football, baseball, and other stuff and had pretty strong academics, with some folks going to Ivy League and Cal-Tech, stanford and such. I had friends play in the NFL and MLB and earn phds from MIT. We weren’t always the best football team (though we went undefeated in football my senior year, when I was out with a torn ACL), but we were always the strongest, often legally.

Then they opened another HS 3 miles away in the wealthier part of town 10 years ago and enrollment went from 3000 to like 2000 and things took a turn toward the average.

He’s about powerlifting. Heavy weights and gaining muscle. I did super high reps of dumbbells and kettlebells the last several years. I’m trying to just pack on some muscle and tbh the high reps probably were killing my joints. Yoga and this seems to be great so far. I was doing 120 reps of 2 70 lb kettlebells before (front & back lunges, squats, deadlifts, rows both incline and decline bench, and more). That’s a lot of time and energy. This is just doing short, heavy shit.

I don’t ever want to be a powerlifter but I will definitely do this program until I stop gaining weights. 5-10 lbs each workout gains on all areas of workout is pretty nice to see. Squats and deadlifts getting tougher now but still gaining each workout.

I agree there are different goals though simp. Figure out what works and what you want and do it. More activity is better than less activity either way.

1 Like

It sounds crazy now. I was literally doing 120 front lunges, 120 back lunges, 120 squats, 120 deadlifts, etc. Fucking time consuming.

Sound like a good cardio workout, though perhaps excessive. Just did my dumbell workout while listening to his first 3 podcasts, intro, discussion of exercise vs training [I think he drew the distinction a bit too strongly], and discussion of the general importance of strength.

Overall, I do like his approach and inclination toward science. I could see moving a bit more to a strength focus, but I want to get in good shape, not just be strong. I did fitness classes from Nov-March after essentially 10 years of a sedentary lifestyle and had lost 20 lbs, gained some strength, and a lot of basic fitness (I was going 5-6 days a week in Feb and March). Then Covid hit and I was on my ass with no home equipment and occasional walks and finally got hold of some dumbbells and a bench on May 7. I probably hit my former fitness level in June and am now finally feeling relatively strong, an improvement over what I was getting out of just cardio work. Hell, a few days ago I slipped on a wet wood floor and steadied myself in an awkward, splayed position without hitting the floor, thanks to being stronger than I was a year ago.

While I’m not the type to take anything someone says about fitness as gospel, a purist strength approach with a scientific orientation is better than 95% of the health and fitness advice out there. Then again, walking 3 miles 5 days a week is also great. The main thing is just doing something consistently.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TheBJPS/status/1297823323989180416?s=20
https://twitter.com/JamesEBartlett/status/1296536156633550848?s=20

2 Likes

I stand corrected.

Giancarlo is claiming Falwell is a cuck and would watch Giancarlo bang his wife.

National Enquirer guy definitely blackmailed him into endorsing Trump.

1 Like

AOC is so fucking good in hearings. She should be the only person allowed to ask questions during a hearing.

Cliffs?

What’s the real story? Was removing the mailboxes and machines a new thing?