LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ImIncorrigible/status/1296378113480372224

3 Likes

Paging @anon24898493

1 Like

Thanks, I really enjoyed the read even though I knew virtually nothing about the subject or the people it discussed. Despite that I found it accessible and interesting.

1 Like

That’s a quite misleading tweet. The pilot study covers only 120 people.

2 Likes

just a bit

https://twitter.com/jezebel/status/1296450097040039938?s=21

3 Likes

You’re malnourished
You’re malnourished
You’re malnourished, it’s true
I saw your face at a doctor’s place
And I don’t know what to do
'Cause the scurvy is in you

1 Like

I bet a friend in college $500 he couldn’t live off kraft dinner for 6 months. He made is 2 months and got scurvy! I felt bad but it was also kind of funny.

Also shows the relative value of money.

Guy wasn’t even allowed to drink orange juice? I mean that’s 100% Vitamin C right there.

1 Like

Was he banned from taking vitamin supplements?

1 Like

Early symptoms are malaise and lethargy. After one to three months, patients develop shortness of breath and bone pain. Myalgias may occur because of reduced carnitine production. Other symptoms include skin changes with roughness, easy bruising and petechiae, gum disease, loosening of teeth, poor wound healing, and emotional changes (which may appear before any physical changes). Dry mouth and dry eyes similar to Sjögren’s syndrome may occur. In the late stages, jaundice, generalised edema, oliguria, neuropathy, fever, convulsions, and eventual death are frequently seen.[8]

Good thing he didn’t go for the whole 6 months.

I can’t remember if we had all those stipulations. I think he was allowed water and beer lol.

Another time we bet him he couldn’t eat a whole angel food cake in one bite. He amazingly got the whole thing in his mouth and carved out a breathing hole but gave up after about 5 min.

Today he is the head of a geology department at a pretty prestigious university! :grin:

1 Like

Ya in hindsight is was really dumb. And for $500!

Damn, he could have just been drinking a lot of one of those citrus beers.

1 Like

Lol don’t think those existed in the early 90s. :grin:

So just a multi-vitamin would have saved him from scurvy right?

I’m pretty sure we didn’t have that caveat but can’t think why he wouldn’t have taken one. I honestly think we just never thought of that as a complication. And who takes vitamins in their early 20s? :)

I’ve taken a mulit-vitamin as long as I can remember. Flintstones chewables are the gateway drug.

1 Like

This is all pretty consistent with every geology department professor I’ve ever met. Geology is an academic discipline for people that like camping.

3 Likes

Looks like its a test of 120 people. Pretty small but I’m happy to see the idea become more mainstream.