LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

The thing is that “country music” isn’t just a genre to serve as theme music for NASCAR. Its a thread that is woven all through American music. There’s lots of people that say stuff like, Oh I hate country music I like good music like Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, and the Rolling Stones! Country music is adjacent to and hugely influential all over the map. Ray Charles made a country album! And its a amazing!

All that to say - don’t box yourself in with music genre identity politics. Music is something that it literally universally loved and meaningful to people.

6 Likes

There’s a reason country music festivals have basically zero overlap with Lollapalooza, Coachella or any European/South American ones.

Folk and country are similar, but miles apart as well.

It sounds to me like you’re just taking all the roots music and saying the bad stuff is country and the good stuff is folk or blues or rock and roll. Which has a bit of truth to it because the most interesting music is usually creating by incorporating many influences. That’s why someone like Neil Young has such a great overall record.

1 Like

Genre classification isn’t super easy, but I still do find it odd to call Wilco “country rock” or something when uh, maybe their first album kind of is? The genre is a black hole for a long, long time.

Also, the chance that someone says they really like Country music then say it’s because Harvest is a great record is uh, not very likely.

1 Like

This is correct because those people have started saying they really like Americana. Specifically because the loaded cultural interpretation of “country music” so broadly misses the real point of country music.

“This fella paddled over and jumped off his board on to the shark and hit it to get it to release her and then assisted her back into the beach,” he said, quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald. "Pretty full on, really heroic.
Surf Life Saving NSW chief executive Steven Pearce

Pretty full on indeed
:shark: :surfing_man:

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1294265179799158785

I hope she sees this man, btw Nader is the son of Lebanese immigrants but you do you, Travis.

1 Like

Went on a walk in the park this morning. Some guy rides by on a bike blasting WAP. My 3-year-old son: I like that music!

3 Likes

TIL WAP is a song. So that’s why people are saying this now.

Finally, after almost a century, some pop women are running with the ‘squeeze my lemon ‘til the juice runs down my leg’ meme.

Scandalous.

1 Like

Maybe for you it’s a song.

WAP haters should be shown the door.

That’s your company.

This thread needs more bluegrass.

1 Like

I’ll admit that I made it half-way through the music video before tapping out. I don’t hate the song and I laugh at the uptight people who are having a fit over it, but it’s not for me.

Somehow I missed the 100 posts on country songs. Here’s a good one:

2 Likes

Sorcerer’s Apprentice open for a new interpretation?

unnamed

5 Likes

Also, this:

https://twitter.com/theestallion/status/1293253610873200642

2 Likes

Sometime after that.

Honestly, I just find super-large breasts to be grotesque. I can listen to the song on the radio, but I don’t find the music video to be visually stimulating (and I’m not very visually-oriented anyways).

It shouldn’t be long before some guy does a song parody called “Big Ass Titties”.

Kylie Jenner and Vanessa Hudgens are the same person. Prove me wrong.