LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

Nelly created the Midwest Swing, the national anthem of the Rust Belt. I have no choice but to stan.

3 Likes

Nelly is the one celebrity I can say I have played poker with. He is the man.

This is country probably.

2 Likes

This brings me back, thanks.

2 Likes

I mean if you’re trying to say Nelly is country this is example 1(a)

1 Like

I hate everything about Florida Georgia Line

14 year old me loved this song and music video

2 Likes

That HUGE Foxconn plant that was supposed to be operational in Wisonconsin by the end of 2020 is coming along great

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/4/12/21217060/foxconn-wisconsin-innovation-centers-empty-buildings

Sort of… There was an existing labor movement organizing office workers called “9to5” which inspired the movie.

“It was the kind of job where you were just not seen.” Karen Nussbaum has spent most of her career as a labor leader and organizer, but she started in the early 1970s as an office worker, in a job she says she does not remember fondly. “You were just part of the wallpaper,” she says. “I remember sitting at my desk one day and a student came in — I worked at a university — and looked me dead in the eye and said, ‘Isn’t anybody here?’ It was those kinds of things that just got under your skin a lot.”

Nussbaum and some friends got together to talk about their frustrations. The result was a new organization with the mission of supporting women in the workplace, which they called 9to5. When their story made its way to Jane Fonda, whom Nussbaum knew through the antiwar movement, it helped inspire something else: A movie starring Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton as three fed-up working women, with Dabney Coleman as their insufferable boss.

Only reason I know about this is that for a few years I was in a union job in SEIU Local 925 and learned some of the history.

I hate country music as well, but Dolly is pretty ok.

Like, contrary to what these guys say, Jolene isn’t a banger.

But it’s also not not a banger.

did you know that Dolly wrote Jolene and I Will Always Love You on the same day?

and also she started a program that mails free books to kids all over the world, no big deal

and she gave $1000 a month to people who lost their homes in the fires in Sevier County

1 Like

One of the things I miss least about my gym is country music on Thursday mornings. All modern country songs sung by men must mention guns, a pretty girl (in a red dress or cutoffs), a pickup truck, and beer (always ice cold) or whiskey. This is mandatory. Female country singers have a little more latitude, but mostly sing about stuff their Mama taught them.

Oh yeah, why I thought of this. Another very very common theme is trashing “Cahhhllliforrrnia” (always said in a very nasally disgusted tone). So some female singer was trashing California phonies, including all the plastic surgery. But first, she had to spend a whole two lines of the song just to give an exception to Dolly Parton - for reasons.

That is the power of Dolly Parton in the country music world.

Also if you ever get the idea that Red America will ever get tired of being blatantly pandered too - just listen to a modern country station for a few hours.

My hazy, 10,000ft understanding is that 9/11 lobotomised country and also shifted the primary reverse-snobbery target from NY to California. Exhibit A:

On a surface level that song depicts New York as this nightmarish Babylon, but I can’t help but think it’s being quietly ironic. I don’t think country has much space for quiet irony anymore, though I’m not really the one to ask.

Pop country musicians are shameless grifters with an adopted persona that barely reflects who they really are. The Nashville music industry isn’t much different than the music industries everywhere else, and it’s largely comprised of people who are culturally the target of fans’ hatred.

2 Likes

A very very common theme is some dude lamenting how California lured him into partying and all kinds of debauchery, and now he really just yearns for a good ol’ Tennessee mountaintop where honest folk do thinks the right way and the preacher carries a gun.

Basically the movie Hope Floats - over and over and over. But with guns.

1 Like

The best version of this is “Where the Green Grass Grows” by Tim McGraw

2 Likes

I love a ton of country music but not much mainstream. And most of the Cash I love is from his American albums and half of those tunes are not really country. Don’t really like Willie’s and Dolly’s music at all and have no clue who Nelly is. But if you like Willie and Cash and Dolly I would say there is a ton of music you would absolutely love and you just haven’t heard it. Or else you’re just being influenced by names.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/andylevy/status/1294429647669690369

3 Likes