LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

They tried to get me to hate white people, but someone would always come along and spoil it. – Thelonious Monk

juxtaposed with

As against our gauzy national hopes (as it may seem*), I will teach my boys to have profound doubts that friendship with white people is possible. – some op-ed from Nov. 11th, 2017 in the NY Times

• parenthesized added for clarity. took me a minute to get it without it lol

Just read an article about this: PimEyes: Face Recognition Search Engine and Reverse Image Search

Its an website where you can upload your face and find out where pictures of you have been uploaded. Lawmakers in Germany urge the EU to regulate this or they will have to do it themselves. Seems you can upload pictures of whoever you want and stalk them. Apparently they have over 900 million faces already. That’s insane. China would be proud.

2 Likes

Be somebody!

Masks have another purpose now.

I tried this out and it thought I was David Cameron lol

1 Like

It’s hopeless btw. Doesn’t work at all.

Hardly LC but not clear where it belongs

1 Like

https://www.chron.com/business/article/Goya-s-CEO-said-the-U-S-is-truly-blessed-with-15398835.php

The best part:

Though the intense response to Unanue’s comments steadily gained steam Thursday, it was met with resistance - largely from conservatives who countered the boycott-related hashtags with “#BuyGoya

Conservatives eating Latino food to own the libs?

2 Likes

The current thread title has been up for several days now and I just got the joke a few minutes ago. My brain feels like Mikey likes orgies writes. It’s going to be a long day. I need nootropics, stat!

2 Likes

Is there a joke other than referring to the actual discussion of gyros and sausages?

I’m super shocked.

https://mtonews.com/candace-owens-brilliant-new-scam-to-make-millions-from-republicans

One of the writers for Politico noticed that Candace – a conservative activist – has been sending text message solicitations to Republicans. According to the messages, Candace is raising money for herself, through an LLC called Candace Owens LLC.

The text message says: “Hi it’s Candace Owens. The Black Lives Matter movement is getting more power by the day and we must stop them. Stand with me.”

The recipient is then directed to a web page that raises money for Candace’ Owens’ company, an LLC. The page says, “Paid for by Candace Owens LLC and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee."

What’s even crazier is that Candace Owens LLC appears to be a “for profit” company. That’s because, as stated on the website, “contributions to Candace Owens LLC are not deductible as charitable contributions.”

The whole thing looks like a campaign advertisement, but it’s not. It’s not directing money to a campaign committee, but rather to a corporation owned by Candace.

7 Likes

We’ve come such a long way! I remember when I was a kid stocking shelves in a grocery some people actually got really mad when we introduced a Goya section to the store. (I assume the same people that got angry when they first had to start pressing 1 for English.)

Asylum for any HK citizens who find a way to make their way in past quarantine?

It’s such a brilliant grift that I can’t even get mad.

6 Likes

taco trucks on every corner!

Honestly I had the same reaction.

Like it’s, “send me money.” And if people do, then I guess all parties involved are happy?

1 Like

We need others to do the same grift and secretly send the money to BLM.

1 Like

I have a vague recollection of a super old-time scam where someone took out an ad in a newspaper saying, “It’s not too late to send your dollar” with an address. Lots of people send money. I want to say that this was deemed to be false advertising, even though there was technically no promise of anything given in return.

2 minutes of googling with zero results suggests that I have completely made this up.

1 Like

I guess it’s implied that she’s going to use the money to stop BLM, but it’s really close to not even being a scam at all. Maybe the lawbros know if this would hold up in court.

1 Like

I thought it was “You never know what a dollar can get YOU” and it’s a true story, the guy collected a few quid lol.

The racists get to watch an attractive Black woman talk smack about other Black people, and now they get to thank her by throwing money at her feet.