LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

I called myself part of the silent majority on here the other day. I based that on googling it and finding this:

“The silent majority is an unspecified large group of people in a country or group who do not express their opinions publicly”

Why is Trump saying “The Silent Majority is Stronger Than Ever”. Does this imply the silent majority is GOP voters?

Of course.

The silent majority means something specific in America. Nixon credited his win to the silent majority, meaning people who weren’t vocally speaking out for civil rights, but were instead sitting at home silently hating black people.

5 Likes

Aw, geez. I basically called myself a racist GOP supporter? I am not part of the silent majority then. I just don’t post in political threads much.

2 Likes

Nixon didn’t invent the term. His was just the most prominent usage.

That doesn’t invalidate the basic idea that sometimes a vocal minority can hijack a conversation.

1 Like

Don’t beat yourself up too bad. Once upon a time, I thought libertarianism was a valid political philosophy. Then Ted Cruz became my senator . . .

Go with Moral Majority instead. :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve got probably 40 lbs of coins I’m trying to bribe my daughter to sort. PM for price list.

Why dont you just dump the coins into a Coinstar machine? They count it for you. And there is no fee as long as you select gift card(~30 vendors) rather than cash out option.

Didn’t know about the gift card thing… I thought the fee was 8% and that’s what I offered my daughter to sort them using an electric coin sorter (still a pain because you have to put them in a slot rather than dump them). Would’ve probably been $50 for her. She looked at me like I had insulted her.

2 Likes

So I moved to rural TN in May. I’m staying at one of my friend’s house. He has AT&T as his internet provider. This is my current LOL speed.

AT&T doesn’t offer high speed internet here. IDK why because Nashville is 20 min away. The only high speed provider I can find is Xfinity. But they require a 2 year plan. I’m only planning to stay here a few months so I don’t want to get anything that’s a commitment.

Any ideas of what I can do? I need to be able to use Zoom. I have Sprint as my cell phone provider. I was thinking of getting unlimited plan for $80 but I don’t know if it’s fast enough. It says it’s 4G in my area.

4G is potentially broadband-like speeds. USB dongle?

The only time I turn on my TV is to watch Liverpool.

Today, on my phone, for what I think is the first time ever, a little TV icon popped up with a notification to let me know that Real Housewives of Beverly Hills is on Bravo tonight.

I’m full of all sorts of feelings right now.

First, and least interesting, I’m angry that this is a thing that can happen.

Second, I’m hurt, and taking account of everything in my life that has led to this moment. What have I done, what have I been watching, that would result in me receiving what I assume is a targeted ad(?) of some kind. Why does my phone or Google or somebody think this information is important to me.

Third, I’m confused. Since this is so infrequent, do I need to watch this show? Is God trying to let me know that watching this could avoid a series of consequences that would result in personal or worldwide disaster? I’m torn on whether to watch this or not.

1 Like

Major changes just now in Australia’s relationship with Hong Kong/China.

• Travel advice to Hong Kong indefinitely changed to “do not travel”.

• Extradition treaty with Hong Kong suspended.

• Any Hong Kong citizens currently in Australia will be offered a path to Australian citizenship.

6 Likes

My god, what’s it like having a functional government?

5 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1281264811855183872

Seems like suicide? Apparently he left a rambling phone message that his daughter says sounded like a will.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1281374207767646208?s=21

1 Like

Man, putting “choice” in scare quotes is an interesting “decision.”

1 Like