LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

Did it ever occur to them to ask before groping someone?

test

1 Like

It’s part of a heartbreaking story about how, as a younger man, he’d cruise slow dances in clubs trying to kiss anyone who didn’t tell him to piss off. He estimates his success for a dance as 1 in 30. He’d probably say you can’t expect him to reduce his odds even further by asking.

I expect you all wouldn’t be surprised to hear that France has been awful about the #metoo stuff. Just awful. But, fucking hell! The Justice Minister!

1 Like

I was about to say, what is it he wants to say about Arabs and Jews he feels unable to enlighten us about?

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/ImIncorrigible/status/1044116135699001346

1 Like

I do kinda enjoy all the old dudes unwittingly declaring that they’re creepy as fuck and that no one should be left alone with them. Just incredible self-owns of the highest level.

So China and Russia block the extension of a aid programm for the Syrian population because it hurts Syria’s souvereignty. Their excuse is that the Syrian goverment didnt formally allow it. Can we just abolish this shitshow called UN Security Council. These clowns would prevent a resolution against Hitler Germany because the concentration camps are an internal matter of the German Reich.

This column should appeal to feminists, architects, urban planners, and anyone interested in thrusting and ejaculating:

Sometimes a cigar is just cigar.

Or are they, like other thin, long objects are phallic symbols of the patriarchy?

That was my initial reaction too but then I read the article and I found it to be much more thoughtful than the headline implies.

I read through it and it’s absurd. When people get fixated on something, they’ll filter out everything else and see that thing everywhere in nature. Max in Pi chose 216. This author chose sexism.

I mean what would a feminist skyline look like? Buildings shaped like vaginas of varying sizes? Is that even structurally possible?

2 Likes

I think she’s making observations that seem completely uncontroversial. That cities and our conceptions of them—clearly in a wide sense having almost nothing to do with the shapes of towers—have been largely organised by the interests of an extremely sexist society, and show the fruits of that. To me it would be baffling if it weren’t the case. As for the stuff about ejaculating skyscrapers, it says:

If the sexism of the city began and ended with architectural symbolism, I would’ve happily written a grad school essay about this then turned my attention to more pressing matters.

And given she talks about poverty and immigration, I don’t get the impression she thinks a feminist interpretation of urban planning is the single view through which all things must pass.

2 Likes

This is pretty consistent with my reaction. I think that the broad topic of “should we design our cities to be better and healthier” is a great topic and I have no problem feminists want to look at that topic through their own lens.

2 Likes

The article is paragraph salad. It’s just a banal observation laundry list of feminist issues vaguely related to urbanism. I’m genuinely shocked to learn the author actually teaches urban geography at a well respected university, because she writes about it like a first year student trying to hit all the buzzwords.

I mean, it’s 2020 and she’s presenting overly simplistic views like it’s brand new information. I can assure you that the topic of gender inequality in the built environment has received quite a lot of study over the past 60+ years. “Tall buildings are kinda shaped like penises!” Really? That’s what you open with?

3 Likes

Next she’ll say weapons are sexist because rockets and bombs are shaped like dicks too!

Not our fault that penises are more aerodynamic than vaginas.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Because of course it does.

They say that as though the US doesn’t have a major flesh-eating bacteria problem.

Some years back there was a major flesh-eating bacteria scare and iirc it was 100% a media event. For some reason the background of some 100s of people who get a bad case of it and some die got on the news even though there was no change and roughly the same number of people had always gotten it.

MRSA is not a media event! It’s a real problem!

http://thispodcastwillkillyou.com/2018/12/11/episode-15-mrsa-make-resistance-susceptible-again/