LC Thread 2020: What the PUNK? ROCK.

Ditto

Fuck expensive jewellery.

There’s an election coming up in NZ and a poll dropped today.

Jacinda Ardern’s Labor Party: 61%
Nationals (the main opposition party): 25%

Man if trump had just taken a step back, let the scientists handle the corona response and cut big trump buck cheques to everyone for a 6 months he’d be cruising to one of the biggest landslides in us history imo.

4 Likes

COVID was never going to be as easy to control in the US as it was in NZ, there was a bunch of community transmission going on before it was even detected.

But yeah, basically. It’s a similar story to NZ in Australia, where back in January in the wake of the bushfires debacle, the Labor leader had a 5-point lead over PM Scott Morrison as preferred Prime Minister, with Labor also having a 4-point lead over the Coalition two-party-preferred. It’s like presidential elections in the US, 4 points is a decent lead. The numbers now: Coalition up 6 points on Labor and Morrison crushing it with a 59-26 lead with 15% uncommitted. As long as you can’t be credibly blamed for them (and sometimes even if you can) crises are such free popularity for leaders. Get up there, look leader-ish, maybe crib some lines from Churchill speeches, gain like 20 points of popularity. Like I was kind of astonished at the way Morrison managed to fuck this simple task up circa the bushfires but he definitely learnt his lesson the second time around.

All Trump has ever known how to do is marketing and spin and that doesn’t work on pandemics but he was dumb enough to try it anyway. “One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear!”. GJGE.

2 Likes

Amazingly, his response has been even worse than that. It’s this, AND telling people “sure, you’ve lost loved ones or your job and maybe soon your home and theres no certainty when things will recover, but consider how terrible it is that people are attacking ME with all these accusations!” When you have an untreated personality disorder then just doing what a normal person would do, let alone a competent leader, was never on the table.

3 Likes

In a similar vein I had my kids convinced the phrase “Hot as a haddock” was a thing, which lead my daughter using it in front of her friends when she went to University - insisting it was a thing, googling it only to find there was only one matching entry and it was her brother asking if the phrase hot as a haddock was a thing

31 Likes

Beat: Your son is banned from NeoGaf.

3 Likes

Brag: looks like I have a stalker

3 Likes

I had to fact check your post, I’m the Glenn Kessler of Unstuck.

2 Likes

This is incredible.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IvanTheK/status/1287564195496710149

1 Like

@BestOf

2 Likes

I do want to clarify the exact usage of hot as a haddock, though, as I think it’s only fitting we adopt it here. Is it just for when the weather is hot, or is it more versatile? e.g. “Check out that new LP by [popular musical act], it’s as hot as a haddock!”

The phrase is as versatile as it is imaginary. Typically used to describe ones own condition, can equally well describe the weather, objects, bathwater, angry people and lucky streaks.
Also of course food - “This sausage is as hot as a haddock!”

1 Like

Haddock are found in the north Atlantic - which makes the phrase extra ridiculous.

This is the best LC thread title we’ve ever had.

2 Likes

fyp

10 Likes

The question is does the hot refer to heat or attractiveness? :wink:

3K a month to everyone for 3 months would of cost less than 2 Trillion and you could of kept everyone home. Yeah, Trump would look like a genius now.

Settle down, there.

tumblr_4e2a20f8c099a22f3fce35dbcf326ff9_e06a0ad7_500

3 Likes