Land of Hope & Glory? - UK Politics and other stuff

I wish we had your system minus the tories

The Scottish government has paid Alex Salmond more than £512,000 to cover his legal costs after he won a bitterly contested court battle over its sexual misconduct investigation.

The government admitted in court it had botched its internal inquiry into claims of inappropriate conduct against Salmond while he was first minister, after he launched legal proceedings in 2018.

Government lawyers said a senior human resources official overseeing the investigation into whether Salmond had broken its harassment rules had also spoken to the two complainants before the investigation began, making the investigationunlawful and “tainted by apparent bias”.

In a statement on Tuesday, the Scottish government said: “We can confirm that final settlement of £512,250 has been made to Mr Salmond for legal costs arising from his petition for judicial review.”

The Scottish government has already said its own spending on external legal fees amounted to £118,523, taking its total legal bill to £630,773, excluding all its internal costs.

Jesus how many Brits do we have on this site?

Hahaha. There’s nothing I can say now that won’t result in stepping on a landmine since I already put my foot in my mouth lol.

2 Likes

MPs taking control of Parliament and either revoking a50 or installing a coalition government that would then request an extension before running a second referendum seem the only ways to stop Cummings now. It looks like a no confidence vote would just result in a November election with the UK crashing out of the EU in the meantime, but frankly I’m past the point of pretending to have a clue what might happen next.

The sad truth is I’m sure we’d lose a second referendum at this point even if it were between No Brexit or No Deal. The Brexitards are running the table now so the best we can hope for is a last-minute extension that somehow gets us a deal that’s a little less painful than the alternative of nothing. We’re fucked, basically.

1 Like

The House of Commons Speaker, John Bercow, has said he will “fight with every breath in my body” to stop Boris Johnson from proroguing parliament to force through a no-deal Brexit without the consent of MPs.

No-deal Brexit would be a betrayal, says Philip Hammond
Read more
Bercow, who has previously said he did not believe it would be possible to suspend parliament to force through no deal, gave his strongest signal yet he was prepared to personally intervene to stop prorogation.

Speaking at the Edinburgh festival fringe, the Speaker said he would insist on the right of parliament to continue to sit and debate. “The one thing I feel strongly about is that the House of Commons must have its way,” he said. “And if there is an attempt to circumvent, to bypass or – God forbid – to close down parliament, that is anathema to me.

3 Likes

If we all vote to leave the Poker table & work out a deal, then get to the cashiers cage & the deal is refused who would you blame?

Yourself? For believing a deal could been done.
Or the Rail?

The Torys have been blaming the rail since the vote came in, think about that.

Hopefully enough to veto the idea of words from the lolStatue Of Liberty becoming part of the site’s logo.

1 Like

Jeremy Corbyn has called on rebel Tories and opposition leaders to stop a no-deal Brexit by ousting Boris Johnson as prime minister and allowing Labour to form a caretaker government until a general election.

The Labour leader proposed that he should lead a temporary administration on a “strictly time-limited” basis with the aim of calling a general election.

His letter threw down the gauntlet to the Lib Dems, the SNP, Plaid Cymru, the Greens and rebel Tories, at a time when MPs opposed to no deal have been discussing a “national unity government” led by a centrist figure.

Corbyn’s proposal makes it clear that the Labour frontbench consider he is the only politician who could lead a caretaker government, rather than a backbench candidate such as Tory veteran Ken Clarke or Labour’s Yvette Cooper.

Jeremy Corbyn
(@jeremycorbyn)
I’ve written to the leaders of other political parties and senior backbenchers from across Parliament to lay out my plan to stop a disastrous No Deal Brexit and let the people decide the future of our country. pic.twitter.com/Jz1MjXCrqk

August 14, 2019

https://twitter.com/Arron_banks/status/1161747086616010752

I know Banks is a prick and will hopefully pay for the shit he’s been doing and the tweet above doesn’t surprise but the thing that really threw me into a rage was following through a bit on the first reply - from that absolute sow Julia Hartley-Brewer

She’s a child, Arron. FFS

The same Julia Hartley-Brewer who the same day tweeted…

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1161707706790621184

That list for the gallows just gets longer…

1 Like

So Michael Gove thinks a Black Swan is a movie about ballet dancers.

This is fine.

https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1163042724972511232?s=20

1 Like

bh
Keeping as sane as I can in the red bit to the right of the green bit.

2 Likes

One thing to note is that Johnson has surrounded himself with the dregs merely to give the impression that his govt is 100% brexit for the forthcoming election. If he gets returned with a majority a lot will be sacked never to see a ministerial post again.

And he’s generally reckoned to be one of the brighter of the leading Tories.

He is - which means he’s lying. Mr “too many experts” knows exactly what he’s saying.

2 Likes