Land of Hope & Glory? - UK Politics and other stuff

I’m 100% for independence of Scotland, no ifs no buts, along with N. Ireland & Wales… Then if we want a Union on Newly arranged terms then so be it. But a breakaway is what’s needed… The North of England deserves better too for what it’s worth.
Scotland has come sofar with the European Union that we didn’t even have a decent swimming pool up here that wasn’t a old Victorian bath or connected to a private school/University in some way… Our amenities were terrible, public schools were run down delapid old Victorian buildings unless you stayed in a Upper area the services were run down and suffered funding.
We were lucky that the people of Scotland were proud to be teachers/bus drivers and Nurses etc and took pride in their jobs to run high standards in spite of the lack of funding. I’d say this was true of most areas in the North of England too.

It’s fairly obvious to any sane person why Brexit happened and the cause was the Torys in their underfunding and under taxing.

1 Like

Are you British? Scottish? If not why would you be rooting for it?

Honest question. Seems like an odd thing to root for if you don’t have skin in the game.

I have become a fan of your panel shows is a real reason. If I could figure out the uncanny scheme behind when they are released then I could track the news better. I mean, Have I Got News For You comes back during peak May tumult, 7 shows, and then nothing, insanity, when is it coming back?

Another reason is I assume it will make at least some reactionaries and collaborators there have a genuine sad – they will have actually, like really, destroyed the country by indulging this know-nothing paroxysm – that makes me feel good, schadenfreude I guess; I will also take it as an indirect rebuke to stable genius.

It would also be nice to have an extra English speaking state to flee to. And I like David Hume.

Interesting about game shows!

The reactionaries here don’t give one shit about destroying the country, despite their party incorporating the word Unionist into its title. It’s really all about enriching their class even if that means selling large chunks of the country to the Yanks while creating useful scapegoats domestically (the EU, immigrants, Labour).

1 Like

I wish London could leave Tory Britain too.

Boris Johnson has said it is for the EU to compromise to avoid a no-deal Brexit after his demands for the backstop to be scrapped were met with a flat refusal from the Irish taoiseach, Leo Varadkar.

In comments that showed he was preparing to blame the EU if the UK ended up leaving without a deal, Johnson said he was not aiming for a no-deal Brexit but the situation was “very much up to our friends and partners across the Channel”.

“They know that three times the House of Commons has thrown out that backstop, there’s no way that we can get it through, we have to have that backstop out of the deal, we cannot go on with the withdrawal agreement as it currently is,” he said.

Voters are right to think Tory MPs largely do not care about poorer people or the NHS, according to Dominic Cummings in comments that have emerged from two years ago.

Boris Johnson’s new senior adviser and a key architect of Brexit gave his damning view on Conservative MPs at a conference in 2017, where he said: “People think, and by the way I think most people are right: ‘The Tory party is run by people who basically don’t care about people like me.’

A no-deal Brexit would endanger not only agriculture but rural life as a whole, the Welsh first minister has said.

Mark Drakeford said he took very seriously the risk of civil unrest in the countryside if farmers’ livelihoods were lost.

Speaking to the Guardian during Boris Johnson’s visit to Wales, Drakeford said: “It is a sector of the economy that has the capacity, if it feels sufficiently provoked, to carry out acts of civil disobedience.”

He said the Welsh countryside would be put under huge strain if there was no deal. “We’re not simply talking about an economy here. We’re talking about a whole way of life that has existed for centuries and which will be put at peril in a way that it has never been put at peril before.”

Any future US-UK trade deal would almost certainly be blocked by the US Congress if Brexit affects the Irish border and jeopardises peace in Northern Ireland, congressional leaders and diplomats have warned.

Boris Johnson has presented a trade deal with the US as a way of offsetting the economic costs of leaving the EU, and Donald Trump promised the two countries could strike “a very substantial trade agreement” that would increase trade “four or five times”.

It would be “unthinkable” if a no-deal Brexit was not followed by a poll on Irish reunification, the leader of Sinn Féin has warned Boris Johnson, also telling the prime minister that no one believed he was impartial on Northern Ireland.

“In the longer term, we have advised him that constitutional change is in the air. He can’t say that he hasn’t been told,” Mary Lou McDonald said after meeting Johnson at Stormont on Wednesday morning.

Lib Dems win Brecon and Radnorshire byelection, cutting Johnson Commons majority to one
Jane Dodds beats Tory incumbent Chris Davies, and says her first act will be to tell prime minister to rule out no-deal Brexit

What the …

Tate Modern: Boy, six, ‘thrown from 10th floor’

A six-year-old boy was thrown five floors from the 10th floor of the Tate Modern art gallery in central London, police said.

He landed on a fifth floor roof and was taken to hospital by air ambulance after he fell at about 14:45 BST on Sunday.

The boy’s condition is described as critical.

A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, the Met Police said.

They said the six-year-old was thrown from a viewing platform.

A police spokesman said there was “nothing to suggest [the suspect] is known to the victim”.

The teenager had remained on the platform after the boy fell, police said.

Admin worker Nancy Barnfield, 47, of Rochdale, was at the 10th floor viewing gallery with a friend and their children when her friend heard a “loud bang”.

Ms Barnfield said she turned around and saw a woman screaming: “Where’s my son, where’s my son?”

fuck I can’t imagine …

I seen some of it on the TV… Stay safe brother :v::heart:

I had to put spoilers around that tweet Brother… Its quite bad seeing that. He done Atleast 3 teens that I seen.

Please explain the situation more, thanks for us noobs :pray::joy:

idk man. I think this is the same as the hillbilly elegy/ economic uncertainty take on Trump’s election. Biggest cause by far IMO is good old fashioned racism. This is a country that had an extremely popular minstrel show on tv. in fucking 1980. My inlaws who are typical good-natured working class/petit bourgoise northerners still don’t get what was wrong with that, they loved it. From May’s (as home sec) go home buses to the openly racist Tory press to russian facebook disinformation campaign about how all of f’ing turkey was gonna move here, theyve been mashing the racism button pretty hard for a few years now.

1 Like

I agree 100% with this…

The racism imo got them all to vote to leave no doubt, its changed people I know and worked with for years who all of a sudden became rasict shits, in my work I go to a lot of different areas and it’s all the same BS.
I believe these bastard torys have been trying to get out of Europe since it was started because they found it harder to exploit their advantages, then they managed to strip most all unions & attacked the NHS/Benifits system and stripped most skilled trades of training colleges etc… (Another travesty in its own).
Its Been a longterm strategy thats been deployed by the Torys until something stuck.
Austerity was the sticker I believe, the final nail in the coffin so to say that got folks to vote leave.
I’ve heard from people who’ve said that they voted for Brexit but lean left as they didn’t know shit about it :joy: and some that thought it was for the best because of bendy bananas :smirk:. No joke.
Some that voted because of the lack there of of British skilled workers like Joiners/electricians etc.
And yeah all in all its the racism, when it’s all boiled down its the racism.

I’ve been told to go home to my home country too… By British people. And I’m white :joy::joy::joy: