Land of Hope & Glory? - UK Politics and other stuff

[center]

Mega-thread Note

[/center]
This is one of our ongoing, loosely structured community conversations about daily news with thousands of replies. There is no need to read the entire archive for context. If you are new you can skip to the end and join in the discussion of current events as they happen. However, it is always a good idea to spend at least a few minutes reading first to get a feel for the community and the topic before posting.

So here we are…

I believe it was I who wrote in June 2017 in this very paper: “The secret Tory steering committee has always intended Boris Johnson to be leader of the party and Theresa May has only been put in place as a kind of palate cleanser, a nasty-tasting mouthwash that you swill around your gums before being forced to eat actual human shit.”

Dude, I take no pleasure in having been right. The unopposed undemocratic coronation of the cheating, self-serving liar Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Vampires Haircut Inconclusive-Cocaine-Event Wall-Spaffer Spunk-Burster Fuck-Business Fuck-The-Families Get-Off-My-Fucking-Laptop Turds Johnson is the tipping point in my relationship with this reality. Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Vampires Haircut Inconclusive-Cocaine-Event Wall-Spaffer Spunk-Burster Fuck-Business Fuck-The-Families Get-Off-My-Fucking-Laptop Turds Johnson has made me realise, belatedly, that morality is an artificial construct we maintain by our mutual belief in its assumed value and all it takes is the success of one high-profile utter bastard to shatter the illusion. There’s nothing left to believe in. Johnson rends the fabric of faith.

1 Like

I see 8 out 10 cats does countdown is back. Why can’t Rachel Riley be your PM?

https://www.paddypower.com/politics

We import 2/3rds of our cheese … over to Liz

edit: and our new International Trade Secretary

Bloody hell, the UK really does have a Trump level government now, doesn’t it? Though, to be fair, I used to think British cheese was the shit until I moved to France. Still could make number 2 worldwide, I think - maybe import 50% of the cheese?

The cabinet now is the bottom of the barrel - a rotten Tory barrel at that.

Our new Foreign Secretary, Raab, for example used to be Brexit Secretary until he resigned after voting against the deal he had negotiated with the EU.

I don’t have a huge amount of faith in their collective, or individual, abilities.

Was it not Dominic Rabb that didn’t know about the Dover/Cali crossing or that Ireland was a separate Island.

Most of these new Tory cabinet members don’t know where Scotland/Ireland/Wales are, let alone ever been there at all in their lifetimes.

I like her because she’s a numbers wizard (she’s probably better at anagrams than Susie too she’s just holding back), but ok, I then nominate Bob Mortimer, who does his own dentistry.

Brexit this year is now odds on.

Boris Johnson is pursuing a dangerous hardline strategy with EU leaders, with the intention of forcing a no-deal Brexit, Nicola Sturgeon has said following her first face-to-face meeting with the prime minister.

Speaking to reporters immediately after Johnson had left her official residence in Edinburgh, Scotland’s first minister said: “This is a government that is pursing a no-deal strategy, however much they might deny that in public.”
“Behind all of the bluff and bluster, this is a government that is dangerous. The path that it is pursuing is a dangerous one, for Scotland but for all of the UK. He says that he wants a deal with EU but there is no clarity whatsoever about how he thinks he can get from the position now, where he’s taking a very hard line … to a deal.”

Boris Johnson is refusing to sit down for talks with EU leaders until they agree to ditch the Irish backstop from the Brexit withdrawal agreement, despite invitations to meetings from the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, and the French president, Emmanuel Macron.
Fun fact is the Back Stop was a british idea. Not Ireland not the EU not the Scottish Irish English or Welsh but the Fucking Brits.

His official spokeswoman said the prime minister had made clear that he wanted to strike a deal, but that there was no point in holding face-to-face talks unless the EU agreed to reopen the agreement.

This smacks of Dominic Cummings.

Boris Johnson has dropped the Whitehall investigation into Mark Field, the Tory MP who was caught on camera manhandling a Greenpeace activist out of a black-tie dinner.

Johnson has sacked Field from his role as a Foreign Office minister since taking over as prime minister and decided that the investigation was no longer needed.

A No 10 spokesman said: “Mark Field has now left the government. The current PM considers this issue was a matter for the previous PM concerning his conduct during his time as a minister under her appointment.”

Field had been suspended from his role at the FCO but was allowed to retain the Conservative party whip.

If you do actually Brexit, is it wrong for me to root for the dissolution of the UK so that Scotland can join the EU?

1 Like

No, it would definitely be in Scotland’s best interests to stay in the EU so that would make perfect sense.