Kinetic Wrist Sculptures

holy shit

seriously though most alarm clocks that plug into the wall depend on the 60hz AC to keep time, if your electricity is 59.9hz or 60.1hz your clock will be slow or fast.

If you’re gaining that much time I would look on the back of the clock and see if there’s a 50hz/60hz switch and make sure it’s set to 60 (assuming you’re in the US). A lot of japanese clocks have this switch because part of japan is 50hz and part is 60hz

here’s two examples:

Yeah I’m aware of the north half of Japan being on 50 Hz from the Fuji Royal grinders. The Toshiba motors they use have ~20% RPM reduction on the lower cycle. No, I haven’t bought a freq converter to try it. Yes, I have priced them :harold:. It’s not that though and there’s no such switch or adjustment mechanism on this clock. I have a handful of plug-in clocks that work fine and never lose time, at least not to any noticeable degree.

This one’s called Acurite Intelli-Time (hahaha) and came off the shelf from Lowe’s I’m guessing. There’s something rattling around inside it which I never noticed before. Anyway I was looking for another nice orange LCD to replace it. The Scamazon reviews on a lot of these types of units aren’t good and often mention losing the time. My display has also given out in the same way that many of these poorly-made LCD clocks tend to fail:

Screenshot from 2024-08-27 16-47-28

How do you all feel about cuckoo clocks and/or clocks that chime/strike the hour and between? My former neighbors had an antique grandfather clock that was quite valuable. Huge cabinet and impressive but that mfer chimed the half hour and struck the hour which drove me nuts. Dunno how they lived like that.

The black, gold, and stainless combo looks tacky to me

he can work it like a layaway plan, replacing individual steel links for gold ones over time as he grows richer and is able to afford them

1 Like

If you are reading this thread, you should give the book Longitude by Dava Sobel a read. It’s a pretty interesting tale of how the problem of longitude was finally solved using he reliable timepieces crafted by John Harrison in the 18th century.

2 Likes

Oh, yah, sold this guy about a week ago.

Had it on Chrono24 but found a local guy from Kijiji (don’t know if that’s anywhere else) for a face-to-face deal.

Feel like I should get at least an associate degree in Used Rolex Sales from the amount of shit I learned since the time of that last post. But, very interesting stuff once I got into it.

Got what I think was a good price. Lower than probably ideal but took into consideration it was a one-off sale by someone with no track record on those buy/sell sites. Could have gotten maybe about 10-20% more if I had the patience to wait longer. But, avoided the Chrono24 commission and the transaction was safe.

*“polished” was incorrect in last post. Rolex service didn’t do that. It was cleaned. Only later did I learn you don’t want it polished. Also, the mandatory replacement of dial and hands that I had to pay for is a weird one. Collectors want the original parts, ofc, but Rolex puts new-style dial and hands (part of keeping replacement parts off the secondary market or w/e) so a very good condition watch with original parts like that would be worth way more. But, without the servicing, as you can see from original pics, the watch was probably unsellable. No question they did a great job with it.

1 Like

Are you going to use the money towards another fine timepiece?

Heh. It’s vacation money mostly. But, I do have a new appreciation for them now. I like the idea that I saw on Chrono24 where there seems to be quite a few collectors or non-storefront dealers who have like a dozen watches listed and probably just rotate them as they buy and sell. But I think because they have that collection they can be far more patient with the process than I would ever be.

1 Like

2 Likes