Kinetic Wrist Sculptures

I just had an EKG in November for my normal yearly physical, and I had one in the ER. nothing abnormal (I was hooked up for ~5 hrs in the ER).

The head CT I had in the ER showed a “veinous abnormality” that the radiologist said is “probably” harmless and congenital, so I have a MRI scheduled in a few days to confirm. Protip: if you want to annoy your wife, call it a “weanus abnormality”

2 Likes

Didn’t know we had this thread, never wear watches and know virtually nothing about them but coincidentally Hamish Sr. just gave me a Rolex Oyster Perpetual from 1993. You can see it’s obviously not in the greatest shape but what do I do to get it fixed up? Is it worth it? (He doesn’t mind if I just sell it.)

( I think it’s this one… HQ Milton - 1993 Rolex Two-Tone Datejust 16233 Champagne Dial with Papers, Inventory #A2834, For Sale )

2 Likes

take it to a rolex service center. idk how much it’d cost, but they’ll ship it back to switzerland and completely restore it

a 2017 version is up for auction rn with an 11k bid on it. but i doubt yours could catch that price, even fully refurbished. folks want that thick ass lum

I’ve seen them even honor dial change requests on Boomer Datejusts but not sure they’d do it on a two tone jubilee like that one. Still, the watch would look virtually new when they finished servicing.

1 Like

:vince2:

I have a slight hope my AD will come through with a pepsi or batman for me in the coming months🙏I’ve been on the wait list for almost a year and just did my third visit last week. I nudged him about getting 1 in time for June(when I’ll be eligible for my citizenship) and he seemed pretty optimistic. Guess we’ll see.

1 Like

what are the odds “santos” isn’t even his real name and he just keyser soze’d it one day as he looked down at his wrist? it’s not zero lol

4 Likes

Sweet jesus

hell yeah

Virgil got the Patek on my wrist doin’ front flips
Givin’ you my number but don’t hit me on no dumb shit

1 Like

Bulova running these ads for the Sinatra automatics and I didn’t hate the idea. Was thinking this looks alright for a $200-$300 piece to get people off Apple watches. I just checked and they start at $725 for a Miyota movement and jump up to $1100+ range for a Selitta that only reads Swiss Movt (they are all made in Japan afaict). Those are all significant overpays imo and not quite as attractive as I was expecting.

However, I learned a few things that I found interesting. Apparently blue eyes himself had a long-running relationship with Bulova,

Bulova and Frank Sinatra had a long history together that ranged from partnerships to Bulova being a timepiece of choice for the crooner. In fact, the Frank Sinatra Show was sponsored by Bulova and was known as “Bulova Watch Time.” More recently, his daughter said, “No one respected time more than my father — he never liked to keep an audience waiting.

and also this great quote:

He often said, ‘If you’re not early, you’re late.’

I also noticed that Bulova is saying this now:

In a world that’s increasingly digital, there’s a real appeal to something that relies on gears, springs, and jewels to work, and that’s reflected in the growing interest in mechanical watches today. Learn more about how a mechanical watch work and why buy one.

So they’ve done the marketing research and determined that interest in mechanicals is high enough to re-enter the market. I might have missed my window on scooping up a bunch of cheap vintage to sell to hipsters who think they are joining the game early in the next few years.

one of these popped up on watchrecon and caught my eye

It’s a column wheel chrono, I’m assuming it’s a seiko movement but I wasn’t aware that they OEM’d any mechanical chrono calibers

1 Like

oh I see it buried in there, SII movement so yeah

3 Likes

Hell yeah reverso is absolutely on my powerball shopping list

1 Like

My buddy knows a Rolex authorized dealer, just picked up a Sea Master

Paid $10.4k for it, thinks he could probably flip it for 14-17k right now if he wanted to.

2 Likes

Probably on BJ’s grocery list.

2 Likes

Gotta rent the Lambo for an hour to do the IG wrist check.

5 Likes