Kinetic Wrist Sculptures

idk man yall will see me flashing the MB&F from my 2006 accord

LOL

For the record it’s a nice, late model, perfectly sensible 4Runner

He is married, after all…. There’s only so much he can get away with

dropped off my 2254.50 at the AD for an overdue servicing (in addition to just needing service, the second hand has started intermittently sticking at 46 seconds, sometimes it will run for a day before sticking, sometimes 10 minutes).

Peeked at the new inventory while I was there, I don’t think I’ve seen a new bond-style non-PO seamaster in like 10 years, they seem a lot bigger now.

Can you have him call my AD and tell him he needs to give me a pepsi stat!

Kids: We want a Kermit!

Mom: We have Kermit at home.

Kermit at home:

$4600 list price and has Oris’s 400 Caliber in-house movement. Who is the market for this piece exactly?

1 Like

Dudes waiting for their AD to get another rainbow Daytona

1 Like

I was reading reports that Ohtani gifted Lars Nootbaar a luxury watch for playing in WBC and as a promise to return in 2026. Of course, some of these places reported it as a “Seiko” which is pretty lolol:

https://twitter.com/shoheisaveus/status/1639547289286094848

It’s a White Birch Hi-Beat 36000 with an 80 hour reserve (which is a ridiculous reserve for a hi-beat).

2 Likes
1 Like

Oh man that’s nice very nice.

a 2019 sold for 13k in hong kong last week

2 Likes

Yeah that’s super dope one of my dream watches probably.

1 Like

Just to help me understand if I walked around with that Grand Seiko it would turn more watch geek heads than say a Rolex Daytona? What’s a Rolex with equivalent cachet?

I don’t think this is true. It’s generally viewed to be equivalent or perhaps better quality than Rolex, but that’s kind of LOL because we’re talking about inaccurate wrist clocks that cost as much or more than automobiles in some cases. Trying to figure out the psychology of watch buyers is probably worse than being Jennifer Lopez in that movie The Cell. The major appeal of Rolex right now is that they are mostly unobtanium, so a high cachet model would be something like a yellow gold green dial “John Mayer” Daytona (ref. 116508), a watch that isn’t particularly special except for the fact that John Mayer called it a great value in an interview which caused the prices to skyrocket.

Thanks. That helps. How about you personally? Let’s say someone says they’ll give you one of the two (Daytona or Grand Seiko) for free on the condition that you never own or even wear the other one. Which one do you pick?

It’s not exactly an apples to apples comparison since the Daytona is a chronograph ($$$) and I’m not really into modern sports watches too much. A better comparison to a stock GS Spring Drive is probably just a plain Rolex OP. To be honest, the super basic OP (no date) is my favorite current Rolex due to the classic simplicity of it.

A standard Grand Seiko Spring Drive or Hi-Beat falls approximately into the same retail price range and is technically better in just about every way. You can maybe see where this is starting to get into nonsensical territory because we’re talking about differences that are way past the point of diminishing returns. Some of the GS dials are seriously insane though:

On some level, the superiority is “things that photograph better on a macro lens” which is pedantic but shows fit and finish perfection to sub-millimeter scale. GS also does the zaratsu mirror polishing which is an art unto itself.

Another thing I find interesting as a vintage Zodiac hi-beat 36000 owner is that they’re able to cram 80 hours into that thing. Hi-beats have higher accuracy (and smoother sweep) but generally at the expense of power reserve since you’re “overclocking” the movement. The Spring Drive models are a unique movement to GS that combine an automatic caliber with the piezo mechanism to achieve uncanny accuracy with a completely smooth sweep. So hopefully you can see why people are geeking out over GS.

That said, I’d have a tough time choosing it over a basic Rolex OP as an all-time daily driver since I have a strong preference for small watches with no date window. I’d snapcall a no-date GS though. I absolutely think the GS is more watch for the money, and I also like that most people just think it’s a Seiko and probably wouldn’t try to steal it or ask if it’s fake.

2 Likes

1 Like

fifty-six 3 barrels
2 jewels
8 days
japan

I don’t like the big “G” in the Grand Seiko logo, so that’s a no for me

kendal wore a real richard mille in the latest episode of succession. the audience would know if it was a replica.

I just looked up Richard Mille, yuck :harold: