Kim Jong-un - Now available with 10% less fat

“Completely unstable” - maybe, maybe not. He certainly likes ostentatious displays of power and making blowhard threats, but that’s all part of being a

“Megalomaniac” - agreed, and his sister probably is too.

" brutal mentally ill person" - brutal yes, as is his sister (human rights abusers, both). Mentally ill?- see megalomaniac above.

1 Like

So we’re now drawing live to President Biden sniffing North Korea’s leader’s hair. What a world.

14 Likes

What if I regard the proposition as EV-neutral assuming no systemic change?

No one knows who will follow him. If his sister does, that’s a sign the status quo is likely to go on. It would mean that the people who hold the keys support her. If the people who hold the keys really couldn’t use the keys because KJU had too much of a God-status with the people, and they have no faith in her, she won’t replace him.

For the North Korean people, obviously a change would more likely be good.

However, for the rest of the world it’s not so clear. While he makes big pronouncements, he seems to enjoy being in power, and has resisted doing anything that could upset that. He may push the line with the rockets, etc. but always backs down in the end.

While a new leader long-term would likely be better, short term the instability could be much more dangerous if there is a big fight for control - especially if the losing side gets their hands on some nukes - either to use or sell to fund their cause.

I feel we’re perpetually skating on thin ice with KJU wrt the threat of missile attacks, but just about staying safe assuming the US doesn’t do something completely stupid.

With his sister (not a random unknown) there’s a decent chance she will be an improvement, a decent chance she will be no different, and a decent chance she will be worse, so sticking with KJU is a no brainer for me.

Being worse would be suicidal for her. Her brother was always skating on the edge of getting got. So not a great chance of that imo. Lots of room on the other side though.

1 Like

Now hello! What’s your name, doll, hah, I remember your cousin when he used to have that noodle place out by Westbury, everyone always said he was a, you know, but my father taught me to look past that kind of hatred and if you’ll give me your vote in November, the noodles are on me this time. [Dragged away from cameras by ashen-faced aides]

3 Likes

Well it’s fun to speculate about someone we only have a Guardian article on :grin: but the same logic re. suicide also applies to KJU. How much upside and downside there is to her we really don’t know, which is another reason in my book to stick with KJU.

You also need to consider how women feel in traditionally dominant male positions (and they dont get more traditionally dominant male than being a fascist dictator) - having to prove themselves to be twice as good as the males in the job - “good” here obviously = “terrible” in terms of NK’s policies.

Except it won’t be an unknown random. It will be someone with enough power and capacity for violence to take control. Hopefully they’re nice.

2 Likes

Mobutu was one of the worst dictators in African history, but his ouster led to an epic disaster in the DRC. Replacing Trump would be awesome because it would almost certainly not lead to a civil war or a general breakdown of order. KJU dying or being assassinated is riskier because it might lead to either of those things, with almost no floor on how bad it can get.

2 Likes

It will probably be someone China is ok with.

I thought they were pretty close to the floor as it is. I guess people don’t really believe that.

Only if you think nuclear war is impossible except through error?

I certainly don’t believe KJU is the nut low of possible dictators. Maybe the second or third nut low.

Except we’ve been on the edge of nuclear war for a while with KJU. Any second. Anytime. We’ve been on the edge of a major attack constantly. That we haven’t had this war has lulled people into thinking but we’re not at the edge of it. Always.

He seems capable of experiencing pleasure, which I suspect is a desirable trait in autocrats, insofar as there are any.

1 Like

Yes exactly. Things took an unexpected uptick when he married his pop star wife imo.

I’m in the if there is a higher power then live the golden rule. Don’t be an asshole.

So I live my life that way (…mostly). If their is a heaven I’ll have a reasonable resume. If it requires kissing the pinky ring then I’m hosed. Oh well. Better poker in hell.

1 Like

Look what happened to Daenerys.

But I agree with micro. I am 100 out of 100 times taking door number two.

If we really don’t want him to die we should be rushing medical experts there to keep him alive. If they would allow them. Point being KJU gets hit by the trolley every time.

Except that if the higher power is the Christian god all non-believers, no matter how virtuous, are completely hosed and all believers, no matter what crimes they’ve committed, will go to heaven if they’ve repented.

lol @ that

2 Likes