Industry on HBO

First episode of Industry on HBO was compelling, definitely coming back for more.

I saw an ad for that and filed it away for reference. I’ll watch after I finish The Good Lord Bird.

Directed and executive produced by Lena Dunham. Reminiscent of her other work?

Other Work = Girls, right? I can’t really think of anything else that comes across as “this is Lena Dunham”.

1 Like

I had no idea she was involved and when the credits started I was absolutely flabbergasted. Nothing about it is remotely Lena Dunham-ish, from what I know of her/her work.

1 Like

I guess by her other work, I was unthinkingly referring to the controversies that have sometimes outshone her produced content.

Also see this was created and written by other people so perhaps her influence is limited.

Well anyway, glad you mentioned it. Just watched the trailer.

LFS, I watched the first two episodes last night and this was fantastic.

1 Like

Yeah I’m into it. I don’t feel like they’re marketing it well.

2 Likes

LOL the RT editorial summary describes it as a soapy work drama. They make it sound like it’s a 90’s USA Today series.

I would agree after having watched the two primary HBO trailers. They’re not capturing why someone would want to watch this.

What would you do differently? I was thinking of what experience I’d try to sell people on about the show.

• The Big Short meets Limitless

• The origin story for Ryan Gosling’s character from TBS

• Jordan Belfort, Jr. (and friends)

• A sharp drama about young upstarts and dark secrets among rivals who will do anything to get ahead.

Remaining episodes of Industry all drop on Friday!

3 Likes

Nice, I’m a huge fan of her work. Had no idea this was coming. Honestly I was kind of asking myself why I’m an HBO subscriber with Veep and Silicon Valley over.

I’m watching episode 3 now.

I like it, its not a top 10 of all time or anything.

Lena Dunham?

Gonna be an uphill climb.

I had a similar concern, but she was an EP and director for only the first episode. It’s not her show.

Didn’t know this when I watched the first episode and I was disappointed when I didn’t see her voice in it at all. Zero humor at all. Was good to see Junior’s insane asylum friend in another part. Bugged me for like 20 minutes watching until I could place him.

I’m 3 episodes in. So far the only thing that is in Dunham’s style is the presumption that on screen sex between 20 somethings is inherently interesting.

This show is slickly produced but hasn’t really struck me as having terribly deep insights. Investment banking is toxic yet intoxicating work environment? NO WAY THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

I’m going to watch the whole thing because the whole atmosphere of ignorant 23 year olds in suits pulling all nighters and partying alot takes me back to my first couple of years in the workforce. The whole “panic attack from using the wrong font in a client deck” is a real thing, lol.

1 Like

I am also squarely in the “it’s good enough to watch” crowd. My standards are pretty low at this point! Third episode seemed to be more in the soap opera relationships vein, which is much less interesting to me than the cutthroat/backstabby work environment.

Ken Leung deserves special note tho. He’s killing it.

3 Likes

He is the real standout, but alot of the performances are actually pretty good.

1 Like

It’s a brutal watch. Commanding performances. But you better know what you’re getting into with that show. Though it seems that could end up being true about Industry as well

I watched the rest. Pretty all over the place but still watchable.

soapy work drama

This ended up being mostly correct imo. Gets much soapier as it goes along.

Final episode definitely seemed like a classic “we don’t know if we’re getting a second season” situation.