I resign

Are you in favor of removing Meb from the moderation team?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Meb claims he didn’t wanti to be a mod and doesn’t now. He just wanted to ban a few people. He has done that so his role is no longer needed.

He posted in a pm his intention to ban several people and I said he should put it to a vote given there are several mods. He refused. He in fact refused to even say who he was banning until he faced serious pushback. It’s clear several people, myself included, thought his whole 10 year thing was a joke.

He clearly thinks this is all a joke.

For the record, jal is a terrible poster and I wouldn’t miss him. I never really interact with Churchill so have no opinion. That is beside the point. My opinion of any one poster is irrelevant. This is a community run by a group of community elected mods. None are given sole power to decide on any posters fate yet meb has decided he has been granted that power.

Now he is banning other accounts without taking one second to post in the mod thread to ask others opinion.

Edit: For the record it looks like meb took the extra step of anonymizing their accounts so they can’t be unbanned. A step never before taken on this site and when he explicitly knew several others mods disagreed with him and had said they planned to reverse the bans.

You have a few minutes to change if you want this to be a public poll.

Yeah, it needs to be a public poll. Can delete and restart a new thread if you prefer?

Eta: looks like it’s fixed.

If we aren’t given that power how did meb pull off his feat?

That’s like trump saying norms aren’t laws. It’s a really stupid argument for him and you.

This is a community owned site. We have several mods at all times. There is a mod thread about consensus.

You got me. He technically had the power. Gg.

I will not fight this at all if it’s what the community wants. The threshold is 60%, but as I stated I will review the votes and if over 50% of what I view as active users vote against me I will also step down. Good luck with the vote!

…that I had to necrobump from January. I wasn’t trying to “get you”, we just don’t have rules regarding moderator power other than “mods can’t act on flags on their own posts”. That’s literally the only officially official rule there is regarding moderation, other than that it’s been left to the discretion of anyone with the badge by their name.

I haven’t made up my mind, but it looks like I accidentally clicked on the poll

Worth noting meb has also been deleting posts that are critical of him and issuing temp bans without logging anything in the moderator log thread.

He also unilaterally overturned a community vote that decided Churchill should not be perma banned.

He also anonymized an account that was asking for deletion.

1 Like

Let me be crystal clear.

Meb should be demoded for one simple reason. He clearly does not believe this is a community forum with multiple moderators. He feels he has been granted sole authority to choose who stays and who goes. I begged him to put it to a vote asking the mods and he refused.

Who he chose to ban is completely irrelevant to my argument.

Jbro and swankywilder that I know about. Maybe mods can let us know if there are others.

This is correct. They were each 1 day bans.

I think that a community vote that’s, what, a couple or three weeks old should not be overturned by a mod, yes.

I didn’t think that was actually a requirement. As @otatop has pointed out, we don’t actually have any rules for mods on this site. I will log them right now.

1 Like

More Trump arguments. Solid.

At this point, I am voting no with the idea that maybe having meb as a mod will encourage people to actually support rules that define and limit mod power.

Here’s an old thread where I took a stab at it:

1 Like

Meb also lied about the ten year bans. He anonymized jal and church so the ban can’t be undone even once he’s voted out as mod. Big Mat Sklanksy energy.

I edited and added some very important context to the op.

If you still vote no then I don’t know what to say.

I’ve confirmed that meb anonymized both accounts in the site logs. Time for an admin to step in and demod meb imo.

@goreo @spidercrab @olink

3 Likes

For those long time posters voting no can I ask if you feel ok about his anonymizing the accounts when several other mods had serious concerns about his actions?

This is ok for you on a community owned site with several elected mods?