I Re—sign

Evidence suggests otherwise.

1 Like

Evidence does suggest otherwise, although this is the evidence

That pebble stripe is hideous, and is that “Believe” floating above the cabinets?

1 Like

That’s not my house, it’s a job site. There would be far, far more to criticize if I posted a pic of my own kitchen.

3 Likes

My grandma from my dad’s side always called my girlfriend/now wife “her little Barbara Streisand”. The subtle prejudice was okay because while the wife is Jewish the wife’s family is Polish just like grandma’s. So we both ate fried potatoes just called them different things.

On this topic - I appreciate Cuse’s posts and hope he continues to do so as I think it’s definitely a value add.

That’s not a good reflection on you but okay.

I should hope not, tell them darth smrk is disturbed by their lack of vision

Feng shui for guillotine’rs

I can see why someone who thinks it’s possible they might someday seek political office (which would include cuse IIRC) would not want to be connected to “bad optics” like a reference to guillotines in a clearly non-violent thread. Bad optics - doesn’t matter if it’s not an actual call to violence. But to say that anyone OK with that thread should be ashamed etc etc etc is absurd IMO. Honestly anyone who is legit worried about internet posts coming back to haunt their future political careers should not post on the internet at all.

6 Likes

But this is bullshit. We have an actual rapist as POTUS. Nobody gives a fuck about internet forums.

Nothing more beta than letting a bunch of whiny culture warriors looking for any excuse to get outraged control your behavior. It’s actually the exact thing we hate establishment Democrats for.

7 Likes

I think it’s partially an Overton window issue. The “right” has an actual fascist joking about shooting immigrants at the border (while literally caging them irl), while the “left” can’t joke about guillotining people, let alone actually do anything to them at all apparently. As has been observed many times in these forums, the “left” isn’t really left at all.

4 Likes

The G thread is terrible.

I’m not sure why so many people feel the need to push buttons or espouse violence. Or why it’s somehow boring or weak if that isn’t allowed. To me, that stuff is a sign I don’t want to be involved.

I respect Cuse’s decision. He’s been consistent on his concerns with violence from the start. Given that the forum seems to feel differently, it’s appropriate for him to step down.

There are conversations here I want to continue, people I like, threads I follow, so myself, I’m not going anywhere but it does feel solid to be able to vote with dollars.

10 Likes

This just makes me sad that we’re a lot farther from the critical mass needed for real guillotines than I thought. Oh well, I guess I’ll be guillotining some friends, it always comes to that anyways.

2 Likes

I would have thought after the last three plus years the civility and pearl clutching would have been left by the roadside. It is a pretty ominous sign that a decent percentage want to grasp on to those things in a fight that absolutely does not allow for it.

4 Likes

If you guys think being edgelords on the internet is actually going to lead to real political change, that’s a sad comment on the state of the left.

9 Likes

This is a strawman

1 Like

If you guys think acting differently in online forums to protect feefees is going to get anywhere it is just the same old Democratic Party cucking.

I am not a democrat and not having the stomach for the fight has plagued the party for decades?

Do I think people who get bummed out about theoretical guillotines are going to have the stomach for any real fight? No. The fact that it even rises to awareness is signs of a significant problem.

I might have mistakenly thought the total of the Democratic Party took “toughen up buttercup” to heart.

Matty Lice has a post hidden recently that is absolutely absurd.

But if people want to pretend everything is okay and our biggest problems are fantasy violence discussions than whatevs. I will buckle in for 12 more years of Trump family rule.

For the record I still haven’t read the guillotine thread and probably never will. That’s how I roll. If the best people can do are 4 Chan and 8 Chan comparisons then seriously lol.

I guess we need a rule that the French Revolution is completely forbidden from discussion here because any time something related to it comes up some people wig out.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to be an edgelord on the internet. I have an interest in developing a political philosophy, born out of having debated libertarians, especially ACers, since the 1990s. I post the same way that I post here in other places, such as Daily Kos, and this is the only place that I get pushed back at.

1 Like

Us old people like to repeat ourselves

THERE were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the “horrors” of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.

Mark Twain

2 Likes

I have another suggested option and I have found it completely bullet proof.

Any time I want to hint at something violent I always suffix it with “,allegedly”,

I have been doing this for a while with 100% success, so if everyone does it it would be a win-win, allegedly.

2 Likes

Lol so much this. There’s more ferocious and pearl clutch triggering banter on your typical political facebook post. The degree of shock and horror expressed here at what really is a minor thing always strikes me as an act but w/e clearly it’s enough to cause some drama about.

1 Like