I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

I kind of want Canada to ship for the LOLs.

3 Likes

that’s awesome. think i’m rooting for them too :+1:t3:

https://x.com/HalfwayPost/status/1817673125603221977

Gettin pretty specific there

2 Likes

If Canada wins and France somehow slips on a banana peel against New Zealand, everyone will have three points and Canada will actually win the group on goal differential.

1 Like

https://x.com/ncaaportal/status/1817383092874621051?s=46&t=hUTQWHj9NQWf8Y8RgMv1TA

1 Like

related note: we 100% could take like 10 random bullpen mlb guys like 6 months before the 2028 games and win the team handball gold right?

make aroldis chapman a citizen and hand his big ass a dodgeball and get him in there

https://x.com/mattmikalatos/status/1817588448863166741?s=46&t=hUTQWHj9NQWf8Y8RgMv1TA

7 Likes

i know dressage became a meme bc of snoop’s commentary, but god DAMN that horse is amazing. two weeks ago i woulda voted for the horse for president. more rhythm than 99% of humans

1 Like

Unless FIFA decides on Canada’s appeal to dock 7 points from them instead once they see Canada win all their games.

1 Like

NBC Giving celebs more camera time than the gymnasts

The Chinese archery women came so close!

1 Like

This is shaping up to be Nadal’s worst loss on clay ever.

french rugby team made our girls look like elementary school teachers in their day jobs.

I have absolutely no idea how judo works, but apparently we just got a gold medal, so :canada:, I guess

i enjoy watching women’s volleyball and just seeing this impossibly tall women that just apparently exist somewhere…

China rocking a 6’8" girl and two 6’6" girls.

Israel’s first two olympic medals were in Judo at the Barcelona 1992 olympics.

That caused 9 year old me to join a Judo class in my neighborhood. After 3 months I entered my first tournament where I finished a respectable 4th place out of 4 kids in my weight class. I immediately retired from professional Judo with a record of 0-2.

i do know the rules though if someone needs help.

9 Likes

I live in a beach volleyball and indoor volleyball mecca. It’s a weird experience running into three 6’5"+ girls in the grocery store.

One works at a Starbucks I go to. The first time I saw her I thought she was standing on some kind of platform behind the counter. Then a guy who worked there came over and was like 8" shorter.

1 Like

Do most high end matches end 0-0 with tiebreakers being penalties?
How much of the match is determined by the ref or are all decisions pretty easy and standard?

penalties aren’t tie breakers. If you get 3 penalties you lose the match. Doesn’t matter if you were up a waza-ari (1 point). If the match is tied after 4 minutes (penalties aren’t considered a score), then there’s a golden score period that in theory can last forever.

Usually penalties are more common as the golden score goes longer as Judokas (thats how you say it) get tired and are less active.

I don’t think most end at 0-0.

ETA - the scoring numerics is pretty meaningless. The only two scores possible are 1 point (waz-ari) or 10 points (ippon, which ends the match). There are different ways of achieving those scores, but there aren’t any other scores in between. Two waz-aris becomes an Ippon.