I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

Yeah when someone from e.g. Brooklyn talks about playing handball, that’s a different thing, basically like racquetball but just using your hand to hit the ball against the wall.

Calling this kind of handball like “water polo but without the water” seems pretty reasonable to me. It’s one of those sports that, like ultimate, is very fun to watch and should be more popular than it is.

Handball is great, but would be so much better with a shot clock (like they have in water polo). Too easy to just wait for great shot without one, and I think they score on like 80% of possessions.

1 Like

Yes outdoor handball existed, but I don’t think it is played much anymore.

You lose the ball if you aren’t being aggressive. It’s a foul to be passive.

It can be played outside but not on grass.

Interesting, don’t think I’ve ever seen that called (although I generally watch it in the background while doing something else, so could easily miss those calls).

In handball, teams are not allowed to hold the ball without attempting to attack or shoot on goal, nor can they repeatedly delay actions like throwoffs. This passive play is penalised with a free throw against the team in possession, and if no shot on goal is taken after four passes, a free throw is awarded to the opposing team. Teams are warned to give them a chance to change their attacking approach before penalties are imposed.

1 Like

the thing about handball is that it’s very intuitive. like here’s a ball, here’s a goal. throw it in.

sure there are many rules but the idea is super simple. You don’t need to know how to swim, skate on ice, handle a butterfly net or whatever that thing in lacrosse is.

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, the 5 olympic sports the USA never won a medal in are:
Handball ; Table Tennis ; Badminton ; Trampoline ; Rhythmic gymnastics

1 Like

Yeah I guess this is what I was remembering. They used to paint the court green, which in my faded memory made me think outdoors.

Looks like it was on grass way back when, but nothing I would have remembered.

Women’s skate street final and women’s archery team final were both quite good.

1 Like

For our resident rugby experts, is it just me or is the USA 7s group super weak while the other 2 seem stacked?

What are the dribble rules? Looks like every three steps?

1 Like

A world championship for outdoor handball only existed from 1938 to 1966:

The medal table is kinda funny:

1 Like

i love learning about random complete domination that i didnt know about… apologies if this was posted before…

south korea women have won the team archery gold in every single olympics that team archery has been a thing. NINE straight times. that’s like 4 decades of dominance.

someone in the youtube comments of the highlights was like, “there is a saying in korea that it is harder to make the national team than it is to win a gold medal.”

2 Likes

Omg I love fencing now

Fence mf’ers! Stab his ass!

I like how they are tethered like toddlers

1 Like

I just unlocked a childhood memory. Remember that classic Happy Days episode when Richie somehow winds up in a fencing match? Richie’s like, wait, idk shit about fencing, how did I get mixed up in all this? So then he enlists The Fonz’s help, who obviously can fence like a pro because he’s The Fonz. The Fonz or Fonzie if you prefer agrees to just fence in Richie’s place.

The next thing you know, there’s Fonz at the fencing match pretending to be Richie. He’s already wearing the fencing mask or whatever before the match even begins, which is super weird but raises zero red flags on his opponent’s part. And then Richie walks in, pretending to be The Fonz and he’s wearinf Fonzie’s motorcycle helmet as he walks into the fencing arena, with a girl on each arm, of course, since he’s supposed to be The Fonz. Because I guess it raised less suspicion for The Fonz to be watching a fencing match with his motorcycle helmet on than it would for The Fonz to simply not be in the stands at all.

I don’t remember how the plot was resolved though.

1 Like

Canada

1 Like

CA women score in the 12th minute of stoppage time to beat France, now on their way out of the group stage (with a win over Colombia) despite the -6 pt penalty for illegal drone footage

so far i got 1. table tennis, mostly bc the audio is just the players and the crowd. and this hottie brazilian

feel validated as i’ve been thinking this chinese chick that’s killing her is pretty game good, like the brazilian is good but china’s on a different level. then i see she’s the overall #1 seed.