I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

that makes the separation on ‘professional’ level even stranger.

If I had to guess, it’s probably a holdover from the days when lots of sports had differences in rules and equipment between male and female versions. (Ex. 6 to a side basketball where the players couldn’t cross midcourt or women’s lacrosse which uses different sticks and doesn’t allow body checks).

Team Japan GOAT

1 Like

There is also no checking in women’s ice hockey, although I’ve seen college games where you could tell they wished they could check.

I have no idea who this is, since I don’t follow baseball. Definitely wouldn’t have guessed Jewish based on name. Presumably his mother is Jewish, which I understand is a pretty ironclad claim to being a Jew.

Apparently, Florida has both Cubans and Jews and they sometimes intermingle.

I can’t even imagine what that would be like. Sounds like an entirely different sport.

wiki says his cuban dad converted to judaism as well.

“People are shocked at first that I’m Jewish. I get teased in the clubhouse about being Jewish, but we all get teased about something. Going to Hebrew school and being a bar mitzvah … made my mom really happy. I wished I had been out playing baseball, but looking back at it now, I’m happy I did it.”

Beer league softball is serious business. :)

The league I play in has like 4 or 5 divisions of 10-12 teams each.

We use to have some guys that played hardball but all have migrated to softball now that we’re all well into our 30s.

Thata a great AB right there

I remember in the late 80s the disappointment of the Jewish press when they learned that pitcher David Cone was not Jewish.

There’s still a lot of contact, just no hard checking

We already have lacrosse and real hockey, hard for field hockey to compete for players.

I’m going to make billions selling slightly longer field hockey sticks so you don’t have to bend over so much.

4 Likes

In 7th grade we played an end of season lacrosse exhibition against the guys team where they had to play using our rules and equipment (shallow pockets, no pads, etc). They were pretty well behaved but you could tell they were having a hard time fighting the instinct to play more physically. One guy in particular was swinging pretty wildly and caught one of our players in the ribs and knocked the wind out of her. After she recovered, she chased him down at full speed and laid him out with a cross check. Seemed like she had been itching to do that to someone all season.

3 Likes

Also this needs to be played everywhere

2 Likes

Oh no, they just showed a shot of the “crowd”

There is absolutely nobody in the stands

no fans in the entire olympics

NO.

Diving can do its own thing, shouldn’t be related to swimming in the first place.

Maybe we should combine basketball and bingo, they both use the gym.