I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

Yeah haven’t looked that hard because COVID and I’ve just assumed there wouldn’t be anything in my town, though with so many olds in Japan and tennis a popular sport here you’d think pickleball would become popular if people knew about it.

Edit: maybe I’m wrong, there’s already an association.

1 Like

Lol, just rewatched that. My wife over my shoulder listening says.

“They almost hit in the air, yeah right, bogus”

I guess she’s still bitter about the commentary.

I’m in that video somewhere.

2 Likes

Digging a bit further, according to the website, pickleball appears to be still in its infancy here. The site boasts that the sport has already been experienced by over 1,000 players! Only places to play in a handful of prefectures, and mine isn’t one of them.

Maybe there’s an opportunity to start something up here.

1 Like

I never heard of pickleball before a year ago. There’s a court I walk by sometimes. Usually it’s younger couples playing, 20s or 30s. They seem like beginners. Never seen anyone hit with any kind of pace. I thought it must be the ball.

Always thought people worrying about their strokes from playing multiple racquet sports was exaggerated.

What if you jump from behind the white line, volley, and then land over the white line. Good or no good?

I was pretty excited to see this after all the hype. I don’t know shit about wrestling though or how it is scored. I also have no idea what the hell he did at the end to get 2 pts. I was just left scratching my head thinking, “That’s worth 2pts?”.

What if they just fake it like a soccer player?

I’m so old, all I can think of when seeing this discussion is this:

2 Likes

For those of you staying up late tonight, the premier event of the Olympics is on at 11:30 PM CT. The gold medal women’s Volleyball match between USA and Brazil. Despite inventing the sport, the US women have never won the Olympic Gold, while being runners up 3 times. This match is a repeat of two of their previous silvers in 2008 and 2012.

1 Like

I don’t hate pickleball. I just noticed how die hard the olds are playing it and can’t believe they didn’t make them able to do both tennis and pickleball. I actually researched and was going to buy gear for it but haven’t found anyone to play with.

I thought baseball/softball was going to ruin my golf swing when I was a die hard golfer in teens and early 20s.

1 Like

Marathon running is insane. Especially in that heat.

1 Like

USA beat France 3-0 in match 1, then USA doesn’t even make it out of pool play and France goes on to win gold. Pretty wild.

Kipchoge won the men’s marathon so effortlessly it looks like he could go out and do it again.

No good. Need to completely stop your momentum after a volley without ending up in there or else its a fault.

The best sport I’ve seen that should be in the Olympics is footvolley. Saw it being played all the time in Rio and it’s just unreal the control even the non-pros there have with their shoulders, chest, etc. I suspect the vast majority of the best players are Brazilian, so it probably wouldn’t be competitive enough.

Speaking of Rio, it’s the greatest place on Earth for someone who loves sun and playing a variety of Olympic-type sports. On the beaches of Copacabana/Ipanema, they’ve got beach soccer, soccer juggling, soccer on ping pong tables, volleyball, footvolley, a tennis paddle type game, and probably a couple others I’m forgetting. They also do Crossfit/circuit training stuff on the beach all the time and so many of the men/women are just in incredible shape and so skilled at these sports. Wish I would’ve discovered Rio in my 20s and not at 37.

Footvolley:

2 Likes

Nice catch!

1 Like

OK, it’s gotten to the point that I’m watching every single thing that comes on for the rest of the Games (ok except rhythmic gymnastics). AFAICT, the last event is the France v. ROC women’s handball finals (French men won, so going for the sweep) that starts at 12:50AM CST. (Edit: nope, there’s also Greece-Serbia water polo at 2:20 AM CST)

Only bad thing about the Olympics is that it ends. Would it be feasible to spread it over like 4-6 weeks instead of 2?

Happy that I’m finally getting to watch a live session of track cycling. It’s been frustrating that the bulk of it has been in the afternoon in Tokyo, when I’m never ever awake.

1 Like

Two minutes in and the women’s basketball final looks to be over already.

One more :canada: women’s gold, because why not :grin:

1 Like