I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

I have tennis courts at my adjacent park. They redid them so that 2 out of 3 trnnis courts also have pickleball lines straddling the baselines (so four pickleball court lines). Players provide their own portable nets.

Pretty much every weekday morning all four courts are being used. Quite obnoxious to play tennis on the one remaining net.

I keep asking the parks department to spray to reduce the pickleball infestation….

2 Likes

florida has a man who has played on all 214 courts or something. take that china.

Is it me or is the horse jumping the only thing where the participant risks death? How often do horses break legs?

1 Like

Surprises:
US bronze in women’s marathon
US fails to make final in men’s 4x1 relay
Canoe/kayak racing is awesome

Disappointments:
Insufficient coverage of decathlon and some other things
Basketball announcer: dude kept calling the rim “the iron” or just “iron”. Really irritating. Apparently he thinks “rim” is a verb. It is, but it’s not typically done on a basketball court. I cringed every time he said someone was “rimming it out”. Finally “big” is not a noun. “That’s great defense against a big!” GTFO

Referring to the rim as “iron” is common synecdoche in basketball parlance. “Rimmed out” is also standard basketball talk used in sports journalism, both spoken and written. “Big” is a noun in a basketball context. Instead of the five standard positions, it is increasingly more common to think in terms of bigs, wings, and guards.

The city here built 8 pickle ball courts in a park in my back yard. I was excited I was getting backyard tennis courts butnaah. The olds are out there at sunrise even when it’s below freezing in the spring/fall.

1 Like

Yeah but I don’t have to like it. “Iron” thrown in occasionally would be fine but used constantly is grating. Maybe I’ll get used to it.

I’m not a huge fan but I watched most of the suns playoff games this year and I don’t remember any “rimming” going on in those games.

Do you hate “brick” being used as a verb, too?

Nah, but that’s been common usage even at the lowest playground levels since I was a kid.

I was mostly just trying to be funny but I really did notice all those things.

Tunisian guy winning from the outside lane was definitely one of the best things of these Olympics.

4 Likes

lol at winning at karate because you got knocked out

Love the pickleball hate. I challenge any of you to give it a shot (with people who actually can play) and not think it’s the most fun sport you’ve played. Also, while it is certainly very popular with the olds, the real competition is way, way, way more intense with actual athletes on the court.

When it eventually becomes an Olympic sport you won’t be seeing the boomer crew anywhere near the court.

Obligatory video posting for anyone who has only seen granny out on their neighborhood courts:

1 Like

Yes. The 7 foot area on either side of the net is the “non volley zone”. You can’t hit the ball out of the air if your feet are in there or on the white line, so if you hit a slow shot that drops close to the net your opponents need to wait for it to bounce and therefore can’t attack you too well. Basically you force your opponent to have to hit up on the ball. If you give them a high ball that they can hit down on or speed up directly at you, you’re in trouble.

1 Like

From me it’s all mock and no malice.

It’s great to see all the people putting the courts to heavy use. I worry about impacting my tennis stroke, otherwise I’d play. We joke we will move up to PB when we turn 70.

It is distracting when there are 24 people on the next courts (usually they have 6 per court and rotate around in some fashion). But clearly they are having great fun and getting some good socializing in as well. Have never heard an argument.

Mostly end up not playing there in the morning because it becomes only 1 tennis slot.

1 Like

That and the double gold for high jump I believe are top two.

3 Likes

Gonna go with no…

https://twitter.com/rhythmic_info/status/807002488754806784

4 Likes

Yes, as long as you land outside the court, essentially jumping the corner of the non volley zone. Your momentum after volleying can’t carry you into the non volley zone. Not sure if this gif will load, but here’s a shot where I did this a couple days ago.

SmartSelect_20210806-173533_Facebook

Common worry for tennis players, but you might find the exact opposite. I play with a bunch of current competitive tennis players, teaching pros, and rec players. Although they all seem to play a lot less tennis now that they play pickleball 7 days a week. Most say that it has actually improved their tennis game as they are better at volleying and feel like they have infinite time to react on the tennis court. When you’re ready to give it a shot I’d be more than happy to show you the ropes or direct you to a group. Philly region has some excellent players.

Sorry for the derail, now back to your regularly scheduled replays of Olympic events you don’t really want to see anyway.

Doesn’t everyone have one of these already?

7 Likes

I think it’s judo. Lightweight gloves. Saudi dude just caught Irani guy with a full roundhouse kick. He was out.

Iraqi goes pressing, went in aggressively but left his right side wide open.

(I was doing something else w sound off and glanced up at the right moment).

Ouch

Update it’s Karate. Something about it can’t be full contact. Judges gathering…

Saudi guy DQd. Unconscious Irani gets Gold

(Clearly on tape delay but “live to me”

sounds like taekwondo, you can’t kick or wear gloves in judo