I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

I’ve been watching the Olympics the last couple days in Spanish on a Youtube channel called Marca Claro, and it’s been amazing b/c they have separate streams you can watch live or on repeat with like 80% of the events, and fast-forwarding is super easy. So I can burn through track and field and see all the finals in like 20 minutes, watch a beach volleyball match in like 10 minutes, etc.

But I will say that I do kinda miss some aspects of NBC. I do like a bit of the backstory on each race they provide, past Olympic results, etc., and giving a reason to care about a certain event. There are also some announcers that are just incredible, and certain moments like the Jason Lesak comeback were amplified by those familiar voices.

imagine not investing in my kickstarter when you had a chance

1 Like

She does win the gold!

2nd gold medal for Israel in the 2020 olympics. She’s the first non-Soviet to win a medal in rhythmic gymnastics ever with the exception of 1984 boycott olympics.

USA#1 vs Japan in the Baseball gold medal match now

Looks like the Japanese pitcher balks every pitch.

At least he doesn’t do the stop in the delivery when a guy is on base.

Also I’m fine with them dropping baseball from the summer games. Seems silly to have a sport where teams fill their roster with rejects and has-beens.

I watch more women’s golf than I’d guess 99% of the population and had no clue who she was. I was rooting for Shanshan Feng to grab another medal but a bad 1st round basically eliminated any chance of that.

The runner Hassan from the Netherlands looks like she just wandered in from off the street and decided to join the run–and then proceeds to just smoke everyone in the 1500, 5000, and 10000.

1 Like

I live here, follow golf closely, and had no idea who she was.

Sad to see that the german athletes arent really competitive in a wide range of sports. Now one of the safest gold medal(javelin) chances gone because he couldnt work the track. But that’s what you get when there is no interest in financing a wide range of practice facilities.

They need to get some backyard games in the Olympics

Bocce ball
Cornhole
That Ladders thing
Horseshoes
Team water balloons
And
Jarts

2 Likes

Croquet
Badminton
Volleyball
Trampoline

Wiffleball
Pickleball

1 Like

With 11 medals, the Czech Republic has had their most successful Olympics since they gained independence. They won two javelin medals (silver and bronze) today and a bronze in canoeing a couple of days ago. They’re tied with Denmark for 23rd overall though CR has one more gold medal than Denmark.

2 Likes

The bolds. need to be backyard versions like that dumb little round trampoline. Preferable with the bumpers not on properly. Real risk of injury.

Badminton needs to be played with broken racquets.

There needs to be a wall right next to the volleyball court that is considered “in”. Small children need to wander into the middle of the March at random.

Monkey in the middle
Swing jumping
Pickle (baseball style)

2 Likes

Does the rest of the world sort by total medals? I just assume that NBC, etc. do it because it make the USA look better. Based on my recollection, when there is reporting in other countries, they sort by number of golds to judge Olympic success.

Whatever makes USA#1 baby

Excellent volleyball final.

Wow, France wins gold. I think they said they’ve never gotten out of pool play before. Certainly never medaled.

And croquet should be played like we played it in college: Under the influence of ungodly quantities of alcohol.

fuck pickleball. no events/medals for boomers.

1 Like

LOL at thinking any boomer would medal in pickleball.

The day pickleball becomes a sport, there will be a camp of 20-something Chinese men and women honing their skills so they can bring home the medal at the next Olympics. Boomers won’t stand a chance.

2 Likes