I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

None. The answer is always none. 100s to 1000s of people, who have actual talent, and have already been training for many years, will also be training for the next four years.

3 Likes

Bench player on a rugby team where your dad is the coach.

A radio host here has a bit where he claims he could win the Tour de France with a few years training. After all it’s just pedaling! The calls he gets are hilarious.

I could go back in time when I was like 4, do nothing but train in like table tennis which I was always ok at, and by the time I was in my 20s I think I could crack top 1000 in the US.

These hypotheticals are so stupid

Yeah this would be a total waste of time for almost everybody. Zero chance.

But if I had to pick, it would probably be Archery or Shooting based on combination of (a) less popular, (b) highly specific and trainable skill, (c) lower athletic requirements

1 Like

If I could use the 50 million as collateral for a loan, maybe I could just buy the best one of those bouncing horses?

3 Likes

If you’re semi athletic you could be like the third goalie on Brazil soccer or Canada hockey and those guys never play.

I thought of that. Take a 40 million loan, buy my way on to the men’s basketball team. Profit

I’ve never watched competition kata but did those in karate. What do they judge on for those?

my bad, but i actually did make a conscious effort to get it right by using ‘person’. the problem is that in Hebrew ‘person’ gets the male suffix and i still think in Hebrew and translate my thoughts in writing.

My question does stand though. Quinn represented Canada in Women Soccer, which seems a bit counter productive to their desire to not be referred to in a binary gender.

Assuming I can’t cheat and just be a non-player on the bench of a volleyball team, the answer for me would be coxswain of the men’s eight rowing.

I’m sure they do a whole lot of stuff that’s not obvious to a casual viewer, but the rest of that list is LOL. I don’t know much about sailing or shooting, but those would have to be my next choices because every single one of the other events would be literally impossible.

2 Likes

No worries.

I agree it’s an interesting conundrum. I assume they played for years as female identified before being non-binary.

They teach people right out of school to be snipers in the army so you could definitely learn to be proficient. How different the level is to olympic level shooting I don’t know.

Shooting would be my best guess

This is probably the best option. Most of the sports are no go even if you trained your whole life.

It’s harder than it seems, (my brother just broke his collarbone after falling off a horse on a 3ft jump), but the horses are the real athletes.

After watching the Netflix Cocaine Cowboys series I’m tempted to say sailing but I bet that’s pretty damned hard compared to driving speed boats in races like they did.

Let me remind you all that Modern Pentathlon includes laser shooting. You are welcome.

It is also clearly the easiest one to compete at an olympic level. It will require exactly the thing that time and money can buy - be somewhat competitive in a sport.

Yeah, it has laser shooting, but it’s combined with a run.

It’s only a 3k, but there’s 4 shooting stations and Olympians are sub-11.5 minutes. That’s a 6.5 minute mile not even accounting for the parts every 800 meters where they have to stop and shoot things.

To say nothing of the fencing, swimming and horsey parts.

I’d MUCH rather take my chances with just the shooting.

All Times Eastern

Track Schedule

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/streaming-schedule

1 Like