I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

If we’re doing irrational yelling at clouds takes, that’s why I dislike team sports in the olympics. To win a gold medal in Judo you have to fight your way through the toughest in the world in your profession without losing a single fight to get the highest accolade in sports.

Or you can be the 3rd string catcher for Japan’s baseball team and not play a single inning.

1 Like

I’d rather see roller derby in the Olympics, unless they turn cycling pursuit into a contact sport.

What the hell

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1417535849135329282?s=21

I have a guess…

2 Likes

What the hell is beach handball

beach handball sounds like something the new 2p2 owners would be into

4 Likes

It’s handball, but played on a beach. The US has never medaled in regular handball in the Olympics.

On the one hand, South Korea has medaled in 6 out of 11 times for women’s handball, but on the other hand, Thailand hasn’t done it once.

The tie break involves a goalie throwing the ball to their own player while that player attempts to score one-on-one with the opposing goalie. During regular play, if the goalkeeper scores a goal this counts as two points, compared to a normal goal scored by an outfield player which counts as 1 point. Creative or spectacular goals, such as 360 degree jumps and alley-oops, are awarded with two points, as well as in-flights and 6 meter throws.

Also handball involves dribbling, which seems fairly hard to do on sand

How the fuck do we have beach handball but not American Ninja Warrior? This is an outrage!

1 Like

Olympic Takeshi’s Castle

Bxl2VRa

3 Likes

Counter counterpoint.

Swimming should add 50s and 400s of each stroke, a decathlon, monofin events and double each event in short course.

1 Like

Wow a swimming decathlon would be awesome, especially if it included some diving events. :+1:

1 Like

My favorite event in Atlanta was the kayaking. It was in the mountains and I had never seen it before. Handball was also cool. You learn real quick how to take advantage of scalpers. I remember the first day we were paying face value for an event 3-4 hrs later. Then we noticed the venues were empty half the time so by the end of the week we’d buy $50 tickets for like $5 each 15 min after the event started. I remember one scalper complaining we were ripping him off lol.

Watching (indoor) swimming meets in person is one of the worst spectator experiences. It’s usually hot and humid, and you can barely see any of the swimmers.

High jump in 2016 was one of the best finals you’ll ever see. Worth rewatching

High jump is one event where there just has to be a limit on how high a human can jump.

Swimming on TV is great, tho.

One of my favorite Olympic events to watch.

I don’t think NBC ever airs uninterrupted field events, it’s always just highlights.

By some weird fuckery from Frontier FIOS I now have the Olympics channel. Given it took two hours of futility the last time I called them and was one of the most soul-crushing customer service experiences of my life, I have capitulated and will just pay the extra $10 (and rising a little every month) for the weird sports package I didn’t want.

But anyway - I’ve got the Olympics channel. I’m curious to see if it actually has any live stuff.