I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

Swimming since I had a crush on Stephanie Rice but also depends a lot on the commentators. I have seen races where you wouldnt think that it is a thrilling race. Other than that if I have the time I watch whatever is on but so far I am zero excited about this olympics.

1 Like

Archery#1 :smiley:

Also stuff like synchronized diving and Athletics. The swimming finals sadly are all at like 2-4am for me this time around, so not much of that :(

also stuff like BMX/Mountainbike is pretty cool. Good they also added skateboarding and climbing to the program, whil definitely check that out.

1 Like

Yikes

Sweden 3
USA 0

Though about setting my alarm to watch the 2nd half. Did not thankfully.

Do we know all these oozed USA#1 athletes were not vaxxed? We’ve seen enough breakthrough cases by now that I don’t assume such.

Well, we Americans can go back to not caring about soccer for another four years.

1 Like

I’d guess most if not all are NOT vaxxed. We’d hear if they were breakthrough cases.

I had a dream last night that the olympics were in North Korea and they were doing some kind of competition like American Ninja Warrior, but like 500 feet above a tiny pool down below. It was nerve-wracking.

2 Likes

That cycling one where there are teams of 4 and they go around in a circle is still a mystery to me. I still don’t get what exactly is going on and I haven’t been motivated enough to look it up.

woof, that’s going to make some shitty parts of the internet happy

Hot take: swimming sucks because there are too many damn events. It’s like at a track meet if every distance had a separate events for running, walking, crawling, and running backwards, plus all the permutations of medleys and relays.

Note: I will still be watching a lot of swimming. :grin:

1 Like

Counterpoint. Hurdles, steeplechase, speedwalking.

Love me some track and field events, mostly field. Pole vault is insane and fun to watch. All the throwing events are wild with how far they can toss each implement.

Also, watching the decathlon is great as it’s interesting to see the different body styles/sizes of the athletes be so good at all 10 events.

2 Likes

Eh, there’s only two hurdle races (100 & 400), steeplechase is unique with immovable barriers and the water jump, and race walking is, let’s face it, completely ignored.

Maybe a better counter is in the field events. If you’re not a fan, you probably wonder why they have to throw so many damn things: shot, discus, hammer, javelin. But field event coverage is usually pitiful anyway.

My point is Simone Biles is going to win like 5 medals while some random swimmer will win 20 or 30. :roll_eyes:

I’ve been watching some track cycling and it’s entertaining. There’s a race (“elimination”) that’s genius in its simplicity: they start with like 25 cyclists, then every 2 laps the last one across the line has to drop out. “Just don’t be last” leads to all kinds of interesting tactics.

1 Like

wat

Ninja Warrior should be an Olympic sport.

6 Likes

Seriously.

1 Like

+1 for pole vaulting! I just watched the 2019 world championships and it was great. Dramatic ending and the top guys really seem to be friends and support each other. (Insomnia + YouTube ftw)

Agree with swimming and how it runs up medal counts, but not sure gymnastics is the best counterpoint - don’t they now have team, individual all around, and multiple individual events with separate medals?

In case anyone here avoids the Covid thread.

https://twitter.com/rosenberg_mike/status/1417846331914145801?s=21

Yeah I was exaggerating and of course you guys are right. Lots of swimmers and gymnasts on that list.

But I was always irritated seeing Phelps with 8 golds around his neck while most athletes (weightlifters, boxers, whatever) would kill for a shot at just one.