I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

This more than makes up for women’s soccer gold medal being postponed until 8am

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1423377157959536643?s=19

"As you come around, you see a big guy’s [butt,]” one rider told AP. Another added that “There’s a lot to look at” and a rider was also quoted as observing that “It is very realistic.” While most of the obstacles on the course are decorated with Japanese iconography, it’s the sumo’s impressive backside that’s really distracting them. “The wrestler is facing away from approaching riders,” the article explains, “meaning that when they complete a sharp turn to take on the jump, the first thing horse and human see is the wedgie created by the wrestler’s mawashi.”

2 Likes

Obvious photoshop

I think they should have a “bidding” event in the Olympics where they just auction off the gold medal.

The Japanese woman’s table tennis team dominated their competition en route to the gold medal final against China, and then get absolutely routed by China.

Moral: DO NOT mess with China when it comes to ping pong.

This is Australia erasure. I don’t feel seen.

Three German men will try tomorrow, but their chances seem equally slim. Headline from a major German newspaper about Germany beating Japan in the semi-final: „The Giant is waiting!“. Indeed.

I watched part of the semi final and that Franziska-Harimoto match was insane.

1 Like

Ok, I had to fix it, I’m compulsive like that. It took like 10 minutes. I’d say fire somebody but there probably aren’t that many people left at Yahoo to fire.

medals

3 Likes

That event is called “hosting rights”.

2 Likes

In the walk racing competition, there’s a judge with a paddle who gives the athletes a spank if they appear to be running.

I can’t imagine being out there in that heat. Poor French walker looks close to death.

Wait 'till tomorrow’s marathon.

And Sapporo, where these races are held, is on the northernmost island of Hokkaido, selected because usually it’s quite a bit cooler there.

Unfortunately the entire country has been enveloped in a brutal heat wave basically since the Olympics began.

All Times Eastern

Screenshot (2)

Track Schedule(Eastern Time)

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/streaming-schedule

Here’s a youtube showing all her dives:

Ridiculously good.

(have to go to youtube to play it.)

1 Like

Just seeing this now and am baffled. I turn on karate and instead of seeing people fighting, I see some woman doing random artistic(?) poses. Gtfoh

These guys walk 50k at my PB 5k running time. It looks like it must be brutal on the hips. Just such an unnatural motion.

Boxing should be like this: best shadow boxer wins.

I was going to say they do katas (forms) first and then fight later but I’m surprised to learn that they are different events each with their own medals.

It’s like they are jogging but pretending to be walking.

This is insane. I always just laughed at race walkers without ever paying attention to their pace. Lol at the fact that they would destroy me in a race at basically any distance. What a great bar bet.