I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

If I recall, 1 v 1 sprint cycling always consists of the two bikes going as slow as humanly possible while still staying balanced, until the final lap, from which they go as fast as humanly possible to the finish.

I might be crazy…but I really liked watching that…

1 Like

Seems like they still do it that way. First there is a qualifying round of a „single round time trial“ and

The top 24 cyclists in the qualifying round (up from 18) qualify for match rounds. In each match round, the cyclists start side by side and must complete 3 laps of the track (750 metres). The last 200 metres are timed.

According to Wikipedia

1 Like

Ah, cool, glad I was wrong. I’ve got “sprint” cycling as my underrated summer olympic sport.

There is some 1 on 1 cycling going on now. They for sure are going as slow as possible on the first laps.

200m final coming up. :eyes:

congrats canada

I’m so happy. What a race, de Grasse earned every bit of that.

3 Likes

Canadian men just crushing it

Lol horse crip-walking

Your pony is crip-crawling.

4 Likes

Here’s what you get to do when you win a gold medal for Ecuador.

At first I was like oh shit someone hijacked a huge plane.

1 Like

All Times Eastern

Track Schedule(Eastern Time)

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/streaming-schedule

1 Like

Assuming there was a way to objectively measure pure athletic ability, which sport would have the best athletes? Swimming? Decathlon?

I’m watching some canoe racing and they’ve got to be up there near the top. Total badasses.

It’s always a slippery slope trying to answer this question due to the complexity of how to define athletic ability.

In terms of combo of strength and stamina, I’d go with wrestlers or boxers. In terms of strength and body control, gymnasts.

But there are a zillion other possible answers out there.

1 Like

I really don’t like decathlon. Like i obviously respect all of them, but who wants to watch athletes who are below competitive level at every single discipline?

1 Like

Really hard to tell. Most of the best athletes probably gravitated and specialized in the more popular sports that pay the most even if those sports don’t necessarily require the most athletic ability.

1 Like

True, I thought of boxers right after I posted.

Maybe it’s easier to go from the other direction. I’m pretty confident the greatest athlete in the Olympics doesn’t compete in archery or skateboarding. :grin:

Also swimming marathon sounds the most unfun sport to compete at.

Canadian ran a 10.1 100m.