I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

I’ve been climbing for >10 years and as all my climbing buddies, I think speed climbing is trash and it’s really super weird all three disciplines are grouped together. It makes no sense, they’re very different disciplines, hopefully next time there will be individual events. I mean, some of the elite bouldering/lead climbers in the world had never done speed at any level until a couple years ago because it’s part of the olympics. Having said that, I understand speed is very appealing to non-climbers, so they shouldn’t get rid of it.

That “bullshit” prevents your viewing pleasure from being interrupted by stupid adverts aka hot dog breaks in your country, all paid for by people here.

You’re welcome.

I read that Israel have two top climbers in the world but they didnt make the olympics because no one does speed climbing. There’s no practice wall for it even in the entire country.

200m semis about to start. Should be good.

17 year old easily winning the 200m semis is crazy

Fast time too and it looked like he was barely trying.

That was super close second heat. They are taking a long time to post the result. Really looked like the Canadian was third but I guess photo finish says otherwise.

De Grasse was just FLYING out there. 19.73 and he shut it down at the end.

He kicked it into another gear when he saw the guy in the next lane in front of him.

Okay now the climbing looks like what I think Olympic climbing should be.

1 Like

Women’s 800 another super fast race

First spot at speed is nowhere on the bouldering and lead climbing walls, whereas Adam Ondra, arguably one of the best climbers ever, finished third last in speed. Such a stupid set up, let just have speed climbers have their own competition.

1 Like

Yeah, this climbing setup is stupid.

There’s nothing wrong with having an all-around medal with all three sub-disciplines, but there should definitely be medals for each individual one.

1 Like

If I understand correctly it has to do with being a new olympic sport, and the don’t want to give too many medals, which hopefully means this will change in future editions.

so close for a world record in pole vault. 6.19, or 3243252634242 fingers or whatever your measurements are.

Looks like speed climbing is going to be separate in 2024 (4 medals total).

Also in 2024, breakdancing???

1 Like

USA#1 would be crushing the medals if we got all the people born here….Mondo, the 100m guy, the 100m hurdles woman.

USA! USA!

Norway! Norway!

Everyone here is like whaaat, a Norwegian’s really really good at a summer sport? Fake news!

2 Likes

well you did have a south sudanese win the 800m for the USA. I don’t think the net gain will be positive for the US of all athletes have to represent the country they were born at.

Born in Jersey gtfo she’s ours

1 Like