I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

I watch MLB too

You’re maybe the only reason I know who Shohei is and have seen most of his HRs

Can you even imagine your life without me

1 Like

Are you at least betting on it?

Watching MLB without a rooting interest or money involved seems like a fate worse than death. I’ll carve out an exception for tight elimination games in the post season. Those are pretty riveting.

Mixed triathlon should be fun

What’s with these ridiculously high heart rates they’re putting up on screen for archery. They’re in the 130’s just standing there? Is it really that stressful?

They are recurve bows? Takes a lot of strength.

You’d think I won’t have anything to say here, but here’s how the Israeli archer lost tonight in a tie breaker:

that shit must be nerve wrecking

How heavy are they? Do the women use lighter ones?

I’m not sure tbh but recurves don’t lessen the weight like compound bows do when you hit a certain point. Quick google says they use lighter draw weights around 50 lbs but holding that steady to aim while under pressure I’m sure your heart rate would go up.

I guess that makes sense. On the other hand, they train with those things all the time.

Obviously it is what it is. I just found it a bit surprising.

Did not see this but was curious enough to google

Seems to be nerves

The pressure facing South Korea teenager and gold contender Kim Je-deok appeared evident as he lost in a huge upset on Tuesday to Germany’s Florian Unruh during the round of 32.

Kim’s heart rate was around 120 beats per minute (bpm) when he shot three straight 10s in the first set, but jumped to 160 bpm as later arrows hit 8s. Tied in the fifth set, he raced to 170 bpm. Kim later acknowledged his nervousness, saying it hurt his performance.

These rates are so much higher than in published research where there isn’t Olympic-level pressure

There was a study done on heartrates and archery apparently lol

(I do have a little archery background)

Recurves are so much hardcore than compounds. To the point I think recurve versus compound would be a fair distinction. Compound, lets you know when you have pulled back to the right strength. Recurve makes another variable to try to figure out how far back to pull the bow

170 BPM does not sound like ZEN to me.

The Dutch two time Olympic gold winner in windsurfing van Rijsselberge did not even make it to Tokio because each country could only send one competitor, and he was outqualified by the younger Kilan Badloe. They’re good friends, but according to van Rijsselberge “that lantern pole better win gold”.

Sporting a blue arrow shaped mohawk (a la the Last Airbender), that’s exactly what Badloe did. Having crushed the competition the past week, this morning he only needed to finish the double points medal race. :medal_sports:

1 Like

I really hope Djokovic loses this match.

https://twitter.com/CBCOlympics/status/1421386271264542726

https://twitter.com/CBCOlympics/status/1421387928282992641

Bronze for Israel in the Team Judo competition! (5 vs 5 which unfortunately was not fought at the same time on the same mat)

2nd medal of the olympics.

Djokovic loses singles bronze medal match and then withdraws from the mixed doubles bronze medal match. Says he has a left shoulder injury. Sucks for his partner Nina Stojanovic who won’t get the opportunity to play for a medal.

how many “but when simon biles did it…” tweets will i see tomorrow?