I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

FYI, Wazari is pronounced “waza ari” as two words, and means “there is a technique.”

When I was at college I tried a demo lesson at the local kendo club. A 13-year-old Japanese girl happened to be visiting that day and I got paired up with her. She bludgeoned me to death and that was the end of my kendo career.

6 Likes

There’s a judoka now from Vanuatu. I love the olympics. He did not survive long but must have been fun to get pinned down by a raging Uzbeki.

1 Like

Naomi Osaka is getting smoked right now.

I know what you guys are thinking - it’s been a while since I posted about Judo.

This guy just won his 2nd round fight

As you can detect, Saeid isn’t really a Mongolian name nor does this 6th ranked Judoka look very Mongolian. He isn’t. He is Iranian. In 2019 world championship he made it to the semi finals in the 81 kilo weight class. A very impressive achievement by itself.
The “problem” was that Israel’s Sagi Muki was awaiting in the finals for the winner of Saeid’s semi finals.

The Iranian minister of sport and the head of the Judo association pressured Saeid to throw his semi finals fight, to avoid fighting against the Israeli.

After his loss Saeid went back to Germany and gave an interview detailing what he went through. He decided to not return to Iran, citing threats on his safety due to his criticism. He first received asylum in Germany and later became a Mongolian citizen.

The Iranian Judo association was banned from International competition indefinitely (i think the ban was reversed by now but I’m not sure).

In February he landed in Israel to fight and train. He finished 2nd in the Tel Aviv Grand Prix and stayed to train with the Israeli national team. Both him and Muki are aiming for a medal today.

7 Likes

Anyone know why medley swimmers, swim the strokes in the order that they do? Is is a rule? Could they different order if they wanted. If so, why is the traditional order considered optimal?

it is a rule

Rain starting to come down pretty good in the bronze medal softball game. I wonder what the rain delay rules are if it comes to that.

Also failed suicide squeeze by Canada. :frowning:

Also did the Canadian batter look at a cheat sheet just before she put down that suicide squeeze bunt?

That’s unfortunate. I think it would be interesting to let them be completed in any order. Huge potential for high drama and/or comedy.

An the Torch Lighter is out of the Olympics. :open_mouth:

What’s with Kosovo Judokas just dominating? 3 different women win golds in the 2 olympics they’ve participated in. Male also came 7th this time around which is pretty damn good.

As an aside, I’m not a big follower of the Olympics but have there been any other instances of small countries just randomly dominating a sport at the Olympics?

If I become a billionaire I’m offering 7 NFL All Pros a million each to participate in Olympic Rugby 7s with a 10 million gold medal bonus.

3 Likes

I was just wondering what NFL players would be best at Rugby. I guess the big thing is endurance. My first thought is I’m taking DJ Metcalf and Travis Kelce

Yeah 7s is basically non-stop vs 15s which has constant stoppages. It’s super sapping endurance wise. You wouldn’t want players too heavy.

As an aside, Christian Wade, who iirc is an international rookie for the Bills, was a 7s star for England/UK.

I expect they would get penalised to death. Rugby has a lot of rules that an experienced team will exploit.

Mountain bike course looking muddy in some sections. Looks like pushing your bike up hills is the way to go.

Peak Darren Sproles would be a menace on the outside in Rugby 7s

1 Like

That feeling when I see China vs ROC in a finals. Think I am about to root for China, just to shut it off…

My goodness does Germany suck so far. Happens when you are only interested in the limelight of the medals but dont want to invest into sport.

Not sure the mics right next to the runway in gymnastics vault, so you hear loud metallic stomping, is really necessary.

Also, Nasty Lyukin is amazing, but don’t think she’s a great fit as a commentator, don’t like her voice, and too monotone at times.