I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

Yeah I sort of enjoyed watching the street skateboarding, but to a completely ignorant observer it sure seemed like (American favorite) Nyjah Huston was attempting tricks that were just much harder than some of the others. Like other skaters were landing relatively easy-looking tricks and scoring in the 9s, meanwhile Nyjah is attempting stuff where the board itself rotates under his feet before hitting the rail and then crashing out.

Again, I know nothing of this sport but it sure seemed like if he had nailed some easier tricks - that he is surely capable of - he could have gotten on the podium.

It looked like he kept trying to cab kickflip back tailslide and kept failing and didn’t switch to an easier trick. He looked all disturbed preparing to attempt it.

One of the other guys did a cab backside noseblunt on a handrail. That was impressive.

1 Like

Is this medical, spiritual, psychological, or some kind of cry for help?

1 Like

I think I disagree on the iron cross consensus. 6 months is a long time. Obviously I’m never going to do any kind of Olympic-caliber full rings routine, but given 6 months of full time training with a professional trainer geared for this specific challenge, I’m pretty confident I could pull off an iron cross and hold it for 2 seconds. I’m not overweight but am pretty out of shape currently and have pretty underwhelming upper body strength. I accept that I could easily be wrong about this. :man_shrugging:

https://mobile.twitter.com/joetracini/status/1418974062257258504

1 Like

Today kicks off with triathlon in about an hour. Later in the day Mountain Bike could be interesting and I’ll give it a watch.

1 Like

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2019/05/13/the-ridiculous-and-possibly-harmful-practice-of-cupping/

1 Like

Triathlon gold medallist left absolutely everything on the course. Including those last few sips of water.

1 Like

5 Likes

They did

I SAID NO JOKES

1 Like

Rugby 7s goat

1 Like

Little late to this as it happened last night. But the Makalya Skinner story is absolutely crushing. The rules in place make no sense if you are looking for the best gymnast in the world. Her being forced out of the country just makes it that much more brutal.

With all that said, Biles on Vault and Floor is still the 2nd and 3rd most impressive shit I have seen at any Olympics. (Nastia Liuken Beam 2008 is GOAT).

2 Likes

Adoption lady in commercial: “Mrs. Brown, we found a child for your adoption. She’s in Siberia. But she’s born with a rare condition. She has to have both legs amputated.”

Mrs. Brown: “But she’s white right?”

I think it encourages going for big tricks and less playing it safe which is great.

1 Like

:canada: :canada: :canada:

3 Likes

1 Like

The women’s street skateboarding is confusing. One score above 5, top skaters getting 4s, lots of them averaging 2s and below, and a bunch of 0s included in their best scores. Last night the men were getting 8s and 9s. I guess they grade men and women on the same scale?

Oh, this is just qualifying so maybe I tuned in to catch all the scrubs

I think it’s judged on the same scale as the men. Scores are much lower.

Still seems pretty poor performance for Olympic-level athletes. I’ve seen more wipeouts than tricks landed

https://twitter.com/LakeShowSZNN/status/1419336664468529152

5 Likes