I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

No one outside of Russia has won gold in artistic swimming (formerly known as synchronized swimming) in either team or duet since 1996.

all judged sports are like 15% fraud. I can’t ever take any of them seriously.

Ledecky competing in heat 3 of the 400m freestyle if anyone interested. Heat 2 is going on now so in ~4 minutes.

I can’t find swimming! Only weight lifting and boxing. :worried:

Stupid Canada.

Weight lifting has to be the nut low sport for watching right?

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1919881795621

1 Like

Taekwondo imo.

There’s like 11 channels+amazon

Anna Kiesenhofer (Austria) pulled off one of the biggest ever shocks in women’s elite road racing to win the Olympic title in Tokyo on Sunday.

The Austrian attacked from the gun as part of a five-rider break that managed to build a lead of 11 minutes before she dropped her companions on the Kagosaka Pass with 41km to go and held off the entire bunch to take gold.

The race also saw the Dutch team mess up their tactics, with silver medalist Annemiek van Vleuten crossing the line in second place but celebrating as if she had won the race. The Dutch leader later confirmed that she thought that the break had been caught well before the finish and that her attack with 2.1km was enough to take the title.

1 Like

weightlifting is an olympic binge watching staple. you are out of your element sir

5 Likes

I just watched this, apparently nobody told the peloton there was another rider up the road and there’s no race radio in the Olympics. Really, it’s their own fault for letting the break get so far ahead.

What a result for Kiesenhofer, I read that she hasn’t had a pro contract for four years. And has a PhD in math! Just elated for her.

My thought. Lots of countries could put together pretty great 3on3 teams (I refuse to use “3x3”).

According to the tournament’s website,[1] the “Original Gus Macker 3-on-3 Basketball Tournament” began in 1974 in Lowell, Michigan. Scott McNeal (alias Gus Macker) and brother Mitch gathered 18 friends who played competitively for a tournament purse of $18. As the tournament grew, the McNeals moved their tournament to Belding in 1987, then took the tournament on the road to other communities, branding it as the “Gus Macker All-World Tour”. According to the website, over 10,000 players entered the tournament as it visited five cities that year.

The Chinese guy had to clear 187 kg to win the gold medal (1 kg less than the world record). If he fails he’s not on the podium. Did so with ease. Weightlifting goat sport

2 Likes

Anyone else watching beach volleyball? Is that moonshot serve actually effective?

USA Basketball: Ruh Roh

Can’t say we weren’t warned by the prelims

Nah weightlifting is incredible.

The format (you only get 3 lifts each at the two types of lifting, and you can’t go backwards with your choices) leads to some sick leveling and gamb00l among the competitors (I.e one lift left do I pick a weight that wins silver or go 5kg higher for an attempt at gold, knowing a miss = no medal).

Plus the action is super fast (a lift every couple minutes) and it’s great to gamble on (binary pass or fail alternating who gets to choose).

That seems wild that they were completely in the dark. I saw the leaders asking for a time check on the rest of the pack a time or 2. How did no one in the pelotón have any idea of the deficit? Massive fail.

I guess I tuned in at a bad moment but the skateboarding I’ve seen has been terribad. It looks like just a bunch of kids from the neighborhood out there screwing around. How do they not have on helmets??

My shitty-ass DVR decided it had 30% less space today than yesterday for no reason, and deleted all kinds of shit, including all the olympic stuff I was planning to watch today. It is literally impossible to hate a company more than I hate Frontier/FIOS.

1 Like