I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

If it meant no more DJ Wizard Sleeve flopping his way to arbitrary victory in his rap battle charades edition, then absolutely shut it down until we figure out what the hell is going on.

1 Like

I watched bits of the women’s breaking because my girlfriend is Lithuanian and it was their big chance for gold. Don’t let the weird coverage fool you too much, people were generally very good, and that one Australian troll entry shouldn’t lead you to believe otherwise imo.

Also the Lithuanian was kinda robbed in the finals and only got silver, so that was a shame. Two big gold favorites (men’s discus too), and both got silver and Lithuania ended up with zero golds this olympics. Sad times in this household.

1 Like

Hiltz – who identifies as transgender/non-binary and uses “they/them” pronouns – will be the first trans/non-binary person to participate in a track and field final at the Olympics on Saturday during the women’s 1,500-meter run.

“I know I’m the first, but I’m definitely not the last,” Hiltz said. “So I hope I can make it a little bit easier for the next non-binary person to come after me.”

Did anyone catch how Nikki Hiltz did in the 1,500 meter run?

7th out of 12. It was mainly the top 5 who broke away and competed for the medals, but just a second from their personal best which I assume is pretty ok.

Sifan Hassan is incredible. Bronze in the 5,000m. Bronze in the 10,000m. And then she will run the women’s marathon-of which she only recently took up and has won two out of the three she has entered (London & Chicago), finishing fourth in the other (Tokyo).

She’s also competed in and won against top-level competition in distances as short as the 800 & 1500.

Edit: I wrote this post not even having yet seen the outcome. Holy shit. Among the most impressive sporting feats I’ve ever witnessed.

3 Likes

Maybe they missed a deduction they should have made ?

Baseball I don’t mind being out. I don’t really want to see any sport where the best of the best aren’t the ones in the Olympics. If you get MLB players, then it’d be awesome.

Yah, a lot of it is quite good and some of the body control elements are very impressive. I would’ve watched (at least the semis/finals rounds) in the future.

I kind of hope Raygun is ridiculed/shunned if she tries to show up to any future breaking events (leave her alone in her personal life though). Like she showed up and made a huge joke of it, taking the spotlight from serious competitors who devoted their lives to it, and she also got the entire sport thrown out of the Olympics in the process.

I can’t believe I watched almost the entire marathon.

the Dopey Challenge is this race package at Disney World where you get a 2am wake-up call four mornings in a row so that you can run the Disney 5K, 10K, half-marathon, and marathon. Sifan Hassan just did as close to that as you’re allowed to at the Olympics and came away with two bronzes and a gold

also she had to run two heats of the 5K (and all four races were in eight days). Insane

2 Likes

This is just amazing

Steph Curry should be illegal

1 Like

On the broadcast they said she ran something like over 38 total miles of racing. Mind blown.

USA women’s basketball (favored by 15) is TIED at the half vs. France. One time dealer. Screw them for depriving us of Caitlin.

1 Like

Apparently Raygun organized the “qualifiers” apart from the actual Aussie breaking community and surprise, surprise she won the qualifier (that she herself organized).

I wonder how MLB would be able to arrange it if we wanted to make this happen. Just shut things down for 3 weeks every fourth year, and start the season early/end it late to make it up? Or say fuck it, every team is gonna be shorthanded for a while but it should even out because every team loses a superstar or two.

Actual rap battles would have been a better olympic sport

1 Like

lol do you ever read r/RunningCircleJerk? They love the Dopey Challenge

BTW: can’t believe she won the marathon after doing all that other stuff. so much for tapering

France up 8!

If only USA had someone who can pass and shoot really well, but I don’t think anyone like that exists in their league.

Team USA 1-for-738 on layups.

1 Like

Wow Gold (OR) in the marathon.

1 Like