I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

lol duwayne Wayne

I think injuries and timing. Only ones he could have been in really were 16 and 20. 20 was covidlympics. Not sure though.

1 Like

After the boxing tournament, the legal battle. A few hours before winning the gold medal in the women’s under-66 kg Olympic boxing tournament against China’s Yang Liu on Friday, August 9, Algerian boxer Imane Khelif began another fight in court. Having been the victim of a virulent smear campaign regarding her gender identity for over a week, the boxer filed a complaint against an unknown person before the national division for combating online hate at the Paris Criminal Court.

This complaint, which Le Monde was able to consult, targets facts of “moral harassment” online. Her victory by abandonment in the quarter-finals against the Italian boxer Angela Carini, on August 1 , had triggered a global tsunami of hateful messages on social networks describing her as a " transgender " voluntarily competing in the wrong category, or even a " man " guilty of “violence against women” .

5 Likes

I will never not support the booing of Embiid, even during a medal ceremony.

3 Likes

Awesome. Get yourself a big chunk of that Harry Potter cash.

3 Likes

Just saw it on the replay. They came together for about 5 seconds, each said some words, seemed like they were in agreement, and the jump-off was on. Certainly didn’t seem like a situation where Kerr asked to share gold and McEwen refused.

https://x.com/danielleearl93/status/1822395856504623534

1 Like

Just give the IOC a bag of cash instead. They’ll accept it.

1 Like

So what was the deal with the 1:04 being 4 seconds past the challenge deadline? Was it the US challenging late and thus their challenge was disallowed a day later? Or was it the Romanians challenging too late at the time and it was reversed and allowed a day later?

Literally can’t find one news source that feels the need to tell me that important detail. Just vibes.

The US challenged the difficulty rating 4 seconds past the deadline. The judges allowed the challenge and amended it to the correct difficulty, which gave Jordan Chiles the bronze.

Romania kicked up a fuss online, etc, and now FIG and the IOC overturned the challenge because of that 4 seconds.

US and Romania agreed to share the gold. IOC and FIG are being dicks and trying to force Jordan Chiles to send the medal back.

I agree with this reply:
https://x.com/ArielEsq305/status/1822389580722573620

Got it.

Did Romania ever say anything about why they didn’t challenge the foot foul? Seems pretty incompetent.

Is there any penalty for challenging something? Why wouldn’t every team request an inquiry after every routine?

No. This is the long-term effect of a stupid decision like this

pretty sure you need to cite a specific error when you lodge the inquiry. Don’t think you can just get Trump to call up the judges and ask them to find a couple extra tenths.

Also, breaking looks stupid and weird and thankfully is one-and-done. Don’t see how anyone could justify that weird shit being in but no baseball or softball. Least that is fixed in 2028.

Cheesy video, but nice:

https://twitter.com/ziyatong/status/1822124576094212468

Whoever made the music that accompanied that video should be forced to listen to it for a month straight in a Gitmo cell.

2 Likes

There are some pretty impressive highlights of breakdancing out there. Unfortunately that one Aussie dominated all the coverage.

1 Like

Impressive feats: check
Weird and dumb: check

You sound like some bigwig who wants to shut down the local teen center to build luxury condos.

2 Likes