I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

Maybe when she retires she can still perform her spontaneous flops in public parks and large lawns.

lol NBC giving us literally 1 point of volleyball before proceeding with 3 hours of swimming and gymnastics

This Swedish swimmer who just won gold in a sprint at 30 years of age and her 5th Olympics seems wildly more impressive.

2 Likes

They did mention during the live broadcast she needed like 8.5 to win on her last event. She could have rolled around like my toddler granddaughter for 90 seconds and gotten an 8.5.

It is pretty cool in Italy when they bring out the giant wheel, pour in some alcohol and light it on fire. Then they just start scraping until you tell them to stop.

1 Like

Maybe if hi can build a quick lead you get “clean” water (wave free?). Idk

Is there a limit to how far you can dolphin kick on the turn in swimming? French dude just did half the final 50 underwater.

i guess she has a chance if she can still make the team in 2028. 6 is “wildly more impressive” than 5 imo.

Is there another sport where Olympians fuck up 50% of the time like they do in pommel horse?

MEDAL CEREMONY ALERT!!

cc: @suzzer99

I haven’t had time to watch the Olympics (boo!) but skipping the medal ceremony and not giving the horse race commentary seems crazy. I get a little teary eyed when someone who dedicated their life to something is up on the podium and they’re crying, singing their national anthem, etc. It’s like cutting coverage of the Super Bowl right after the clock hits 0:00, without seeing the team celebrate.

On NBC?

Yes. The French swimmer.

I think it depends on the stroke. For backstroke you can only do 15 meters underwater. There was some American DQed in a race for doing too many dolphin kicks on his breast stroke. For freestyle I think anything goes.

edit: quick google search shows that the 15 meter underwater rules applies to all strokes. But breaststroke does have it’s own rule allowing only one dolphin kick on the turn, since you’re supposed to use the special breaststroke kick.

1 Like

There’s a red marker on the lanes. (as per the above they are a few red markers, so it could vary on stroke) Some swimmer did it for the entire pool once in a short race so they changed the rule.

That would be a fun race - 100M w/o coming up for air.

https://twitter.com/gunsnrosesgirl3/status/1818618124670820757

3 Likes

The NBC prime time coverage I’m watching every night concludes with a medal ceremony for an American gold medal winner. Tonight was Ledecky ldo. They also mix in an occasional one for that French Leon dude every time he ships.

I do agree with the criticism of the gymnastic event mash-up coverage and even the full live coverage for not sharing more of the scoring details. But, they even admit at the beginning that scoring for the sport is a nightmare that normies can’t understand. Also having everyone doing different events in different orders makes it weird to keep track of who is winning, since some score higher than others. At least it’ll be over soon

https://twitter.com/fadesingh/status/1818856678395166835

I feel like he was probably a little to liberal with the PEDs.