I guess we need a Summer Olympics thread…?

I feel like American cops would also likely win a competition where you just need to hit the black targets.

2 Likes

Unreal, I assumed she was 50 at this point, but only 38 and the GOAT retired from international soccer at 39, but is still playing club soccer at 41 so she could technically play until the world cup.

I watched all of the prime time Olympic coverage last night on NBC and didn’t see one medal ceremony. It seems to be an intentional choice. I bet they’re terrified of any kind of protest. If they never air it to begin with, it can never be clipped.

Also weird how little they show of the gymnastics scores. You see one aggregate score with no context, which they take away when the last person does their routine. And then they never show the score of the winner, just the celebration.

Derrick White is perfect.

Columbia time wasting in the 1st half vs Canada in women’s soccer.

I think someone else mentioned it, but I don’t see how fear of the medal ceremonies could be the reason when it would be on tape-delay. I’m surprised to hear they’re not showing them - I would think they’d be the kind of thing that the typical prime-time tape-delay viewer would be drawn to. I know I’m a sucker for them. Maybe they have some data or something that says people don’t care about them.

Nor about seeing final scores either. How much did the US women win the gymnastics all-around by? What did Biles need to score on the floor routine to win it? What did she score? No idea because none of that was ever shown or discussed.

Re: the scores for a tape-delayed event that they’re splicing and packaging for prime time, maybe they also don’t think people care about the scores and are mostly tuning in to watch USA#1 win. I agree thought it’s a little weird not to show that.

They didn’t show the scores live either. They showed them for a while during the event, then they just stopped. And when they did show them there was no discussion of what was needed.

Same for the men’s competition. I had no idea what anyone needed to win, come in 2nd, etc. I just knew the US men were celebrating. What medal did they win? Oh yeah the Japanese are celebrating too. They must have one something. The Chinese look pissed (but they won silver).

what are you talking about

they’re terrified that if they show a medal ceremony on like 7-hour delay that … what? An athlete is going to get his medal completely normally then activate the wormhole so that when the tape-delayed ceremony is replayed it magically switches to colin kapernick???

Wasn’t there a score bug in the upper left of the screen showing the team aggregate scores for the top 3? (Which I thought was poorly produced because it didn’t account for the fact that some teams had done one more performance than others, i.e., often the USA fell out of the top 3 completely even thought they were easily in 1st in reality.)

And I thought when (at least the USA) competitors finished a routine, they showed the individual score for that apparatus. But maybe I’m confusing the NBC broadcast with the international feed I was watching online at times.

I think this may be that they’re editing things out of order (particularly in events with rotations like gymnastics) and constantly showing the scores might be more confusing than not showing them

I dunno, just throwing out theories as to why they’re not showing medal ceremonies.

Yeah but it was impossible to keep track of who was really in the lead because some teams hadn’t gone yet. They didn’t explain anything. And they took the score off the screen for the last few routines. Nor did they show the score at all of the last routines (Biles, men’s, etc.). They just showed teams celebrating when they saw the score (that we never saw). It’s weird.

I’d like to see the scores. I’d think maybe they had a malfunction, but they did the same for men’s and women’s. They did it today for the men’s individual all-around.

But I assume what I’m watching today is live?

at least some of the daytime stuff is live but I would guess there’s some delayed stuff thrown in there. It will say “LIVE” on screen if it’s live

Maybe they couodnt get the rights to all the anthems.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

2 Likes

https://x.com/womenpostingws/status/1818699502301450603
https://x.com/slothanova/status/1818681698667667720

5 Likes

Well pool isn’t slow for Zhanle Pan who just broke the WR in 100m freestyle and won by over a second. Don’t remember seeing such a lead in a 100 freestyle final.