How long should users be able to edit their posts?

Ninja Edit

• Never
  • Minutes
  • Hours
  • Days
  • Months
  • Forever

0 voters

Visible Edit

• Never
  • Minutes
  • Hours
  • Days
  • Months
  • Forever

0 voters

Current configuration is 10 minutes to ninja edit and one hour for visible edits. These can be set however we want.

I think there should be an adjacent mod poll: “How far into the future do you want to entertain requests to delete posts?”

We don’t have enough granular control to do this, nor can we remove editing privileges from individual users. It’s everybody or nobody (excepting TL4, if that conversation ever happens).

Can Johnny change his votes?

• Yes
  • No
  • Penguins

0 voters

Yes, but you have to click ‘Hide Results’ first

Forevers nice but way too open to abuse. I like a long ninja period because I frequently edit my posts like 19 times.

Forever and we can change that if it ever becomes a problem.

1 Like

Looks like a pretty solid consensus to leave ninja edits set where it is.

Visible edits are a bit more contentious.

Can we allow instant deletions in the same time window as ninja edits, and then after 10 minutes or whatever, you get the message that your post will be deleted in 24 hours.

1 Like

No, but we can set the number of hours before a post is deleted to anything, including 0. I think a good case can be made for that time period to be much smaller. Like, who comes back a full day later and decides they really didn’t want to delete their post after all?

In fact, unless there’s strong opposition I’m just going knock that way back, possibly even as low as an hour.

4 Likes

I don’t see a consensus, I see a slim plurality for leaving things the way they are.

There’s also a very good chance some people didn’t understand that there were two different poles.

My vote was 60 min ninja edits and days for visual edits (24hrs) was my thought… But tbh I’m all for forever… Until it becomes an issue.

Seems like some people have changed their minds. Someone should put up a revote.

But what about my Brexit?

Any love for insta-delete? The times I have deleted a post and 1 hour later thought gee I want to un-delete it = 0

? Can’t you delete a post instantly? At least so that other people (aside from mods/admins) can’t see it.

^ is what happens atm

That?

I assumed I saw that because of admin powers and was (and still am) to lazy to check.

Yeah, that’s what I see, but maybe it’s admins + only the person doing the deleting and not other users?

I’ve seen it for other users too, so it shows for everybody.

I already knocked down to 1 hour from the default 24 hours. Is there any reason to not have it be instant?