Moderators

I’d be interested in volunteering as a temprary / occasional mod at some point in the future. Couldn’t do it right now as I’m on holiday for another week or so and will have a huuuge workload when I get home but if we go with a rotation policy I’ll step forward for a future shift.

2 Likes

Second (I don’t even know if this is necessary but I’m going to do it anyway) lostrich who has a clear, cool head.

1 Like

All good here, I’m happy to continue and I’m good with a rota model… Hopefully I don’t upset anyone along the way.

Feel free to pm me any criticisms :v: Or anything else that you feel important. Or just post here & I’ll reply in good time. :blush:

1 Like

I’ll 2nd Lostrich… :+1:

1 Like

That would be thirded ;)

1 Like

Given the interest in volunteering, this is probably a good spot to start discussing the software’s built-in trust levels. The current roster of mods was just based on who had mod or admin access on the old site and was currently active. imo all of this should should be looked into much more closely and decided on a community-wide basis. There are other options for users to help manage the site without being full moderators. Worth noting:

Users at trust level 3 can…

• Recategorize and rename topics
  • TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
  • TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts

Users at trust level 4 can…

• Edit all posts
  • Pin/unpin topic
  • Close topics
  • Archive topics
  • Make topics unlisted
  • Split and merge topics
  • Reset topic bump date
  • Any TL4 flag cast on any post immediately takes effect and hides the target post

By default TL3 can be earned over time, but currently for us must be manually granted. TL4 always must be manually granted.

Also maybe worth considering: To date there has been one mod action - smacc fixed another user’s post.

1 Like

I agree that users should be able to edit posts forever. Seems like something for a thread and perhaps a poll? Maybe no poll, just thread asking opinions?

It’s in the settings. 60 minutes. If you set it to 0, you can edit it forever. I think the ninja setting is 600 seconds right now. I’d look, but I want to pony you.

1 Like

Giving users the ability to edit posts forever gives people the ability to totally fuck with threads and make it seem like other people are saying things they aren’t. I don’t think a policy of letting people remove their posts is bad, but it should probably be by request sent to a moderator/admin to avoid this type of abuse.

1 Like

Ehhhh, I think we should trust each other. We can deal with that if someone ever abuses it.

5 Likes

I would also like to edit my log indefinitely, mostly to make regular updates to the OP for a few different reasons. Just posted this in the Feature Request thread because I couldn’t find this thread.

Edit: Actually posted this accidentally somewhere else and not in the Feature Request thread as intended. Apparently posting is hard for me.

I’d like to volunteer as a mod.

This totally doesn’t have anything to do with a certain old friend who checked in with us today.

2 posts were reported in the NPC thread incase it does not show on your feed… I didn’t make any decision on them as I thought the’d dissappear, and now they have :thinking:

What is our policy on temp bans and bans? Do we just do it unilaterally, or what? I’m going to assume calls for violence and/or celebrating violence warrant it, I just don’t want to act unilaterally the first time without making sure we’re all on the same page (and by all, I mean both mods and community).

I assume some discussion may have been had on this while I was in Vegas, and I’m not sure about it.

I think contained was the 1st action the forum decided was best at the start of this forum opening, alough I’m not sure on it.

There’s a thread for establishing moderation policy. Not much has happened in it tho.

I edited a post by BruceZ… Hoping for an attack by a terrorist group.

Cuserounder had deleted it and I pressed on the hidden post to see it and it may have shown for the Forum posters too, so done a Edit just in case.

Redacted for privacy.

We live in extraordinary times, and as some countries approach the abyss it might be necessary to have an idea of where the watershed mark lies that delineates a civilised society from a fascist society that would justify his remarks about McConnell.

Some of us are living in that fascist society and would prefer not to have the secret police knocking on the door in the middle of the night.