How dumb would it be to quit my job during a pandemic?

Not that I’m personally working on at this moment. But happy to network with you, or review your resume.

I’ve placed process engineers in the automotive and aerospace industries.

1 Like

Learn to code.

Not trying to be snarky, do it for real.

1 Like

<1k

I was hoping to get a 2 bedroom and set up an office area to eventually do work. What work that would be who knows.

Family is all in upstate but I can visit them or they can visit me it’s not that important (love you guys!)

I tried Code Academy once and it was so boring I’m not sure it’s for me.

Seems to me like the most open and secure industry now and going forward is Health Care. Are you okay with old people?

I faint at medical stuff

1 Like

Just popping in to wish you all the best getting into something else. Staying in a job you hate can crush your soul. Good luck.

6 Likes

Well, you’re young, not tied down, and don’t have great needs, so you have a lot of options. You could teach English abroad or go to school for just about anything and get a job at Starbucks or Home Depot or whatever to sustain yourself while you do that. But, now’s not the best time. Now may not be the best time to being going into work though either.

1 Like

Hmm, tab have you ever read this book?

That’s a Hellmuth joke, not career advice. Unless you’re a crusher already or have an absurd passion toward poker that borders on, flirts with and tiptoes over into the unhealthy.

1 Like

Going to go with the obvious advice. Don’t quit during a recession. Just start applying where you want to go. If you want to finish school, take night school. No matter how much you have saved up it never lasts quite as long as you’d think and it’s always better to have more options than less.

Also it’s a very good feeling telling your boss you’re quitting to take a better job.

2 Likes

If you’re willing to make sacrifices for a year or two while you figure out what to do next, then you should just keep working and collect the paycheck while planning your next steps (assuming the job doesn’t require 60-80hr weeks, and he said he’s getting furloughed, so I don’t think this is an issue).

Take 30 minutes and write out the worse case scenario if you quit your job. Be as detailed as possible. Then spend another 30 minutes writing out what you could do to get by if this worse case scenario came to pass. Getting an even shittier job to make ends meet ect.

What you will find is it’s probably not the end of the world even if it doesn’t go great. If your paid time off is only a week while everyone else gets 3 weeks it is because your boss thinks you are one of his better employees.

You could find another job if you have too.

3 Likes

If OP was living paycheck to paycheck and had a family to support, I’d agree :100:. But he’s single, no dependents, and has a year of savings.

1 Like

Maybe if you do quit you should budget for living on half as much as you do now and do that from day one. And maybe do something like instacart to keep some money coming in while you go to school or look for better work.

No one else really knows how much you hate your work or how tolerant you would be of having no money.

1 Like

Great post that reminds me of this article.

While I agree with a lot of the sentiments about adjusting priorities, following true desires, rainbow chasing, self-actualizing, yada yada, it’s important to remember that those are all luxuries many people don’t have.

He’s 29 years old with no dependents and he has a year’s savings.

I’m not saying that necessary applies to tabs, just pointing it out.

And 5 years from now he’ll be mid-30’s with no skills and this or another minimum wage job. Tab, it’s probably time to stop looking for jobs and start looking for a career, something you like doing that you can see yourself doing for a while.

3 Likes