How dumb would it be to quit my job during a pandemic?

My company is fucking me over. Everyone was supposed to be furloughed for 3 weeks. We would make more money on furlough than we would working. But slowly they’ve asked/told the good workers that their furloughs won’t be the full 3 weeks. Today my boss informed me mine would only be 1 week. I am losing out on a paid vacation that others are getting because I am a good employee. Thanks capitalism.

I don’t like being fucked over. They already took away our 401k match, I got a shit raise this past year which was actually the highest in our department. I got higher raises working retail. Basically this place sucks now that we are owned by a bigger billion dollar corporation.

So I want to quit.

I have no college degree. Bad.
I have a year+ of savings. Good.
There’s a pandemic. Bad.
I have no real skills. Bad.
I could go back to school but pandemic. Toss up.
I have family safety nets if worst case scenario. Good.
I have no idea what kind of job I would even apply for. Bad.
Continuing to work at my place of employment would be bad for my mental health. Bad.

I’m lost and was hoping you folks much wiser than I could tell me how stupid I’m being.

1 Like

My company is also fucking me over. Have to fill in as shift supervisor every other month because there’s a hiring freeze. So I have to work rotating shifts four weeks out of eight. Postponed the raise I was supposed to get. Still doing 401k match for now. And I was supposed to get promoted with a 20% raise, that’s obviously not happening now.

But I haven’t even thought of quitting and I’m grateful to have my job.

what kind of job do you currently have?

Manufacturing

How do you have a job with no skills that isn’t retail or food service?

The conservative advice is to get a job while you have job. The YOLO advice is to quit and loudly air your grievances on the way out. But seriously, there is a lot of risk in the yolo approach. I say, bury your rage into a tight little ball but get busy looking for a new gig.

7 Likes

How is the air conditioning at your place of work?

6 Likes

Non existent another point for quitting.

1 Like

Don’t quit until you have another job. If you can’t get another job without the current place knowing about the search you want to think about changing careers. What do you want to do when you grow up? Start figuring out how to make that happen. 14% of the country is out of work right now and that’s going to go higher. Hang on to the job you have as long you can.

4 Likes

Instead of quitting, get fired trying to organize the place.

The obvious call is to make use of the family safety net to do college right now. Take all the BS classes you need to take to graduate, but don’t care to actually take, now while they’re giving out As for not showing up on-line. Save the classes you care about for later in-person.

3 Likes

Isn’t capitalism great where you’re ‘lucky’ to have a job you hate that treats you like crap because you’re better off than like 1/4 of the population that has no job at all? I’m even luckier because I generally like my job, although we have been getting screwed during the pandemic (and I work for a hospital lol).

7 Likes

Now you have 3 years of savings.

Do you have dependents?

2 Likes

I’ve thought about this for years but I still have no idea.

I’ve had minor discussions with a few people and I don’t think I’d have a single ally.

I have some college done but I switched majors 3 times so most of my electives are finished just gotta pick a major and slowly grind through it I guess.

No thank goodness. And van life is not for me.

He probably wants to rock.

4 Likes

Sorry, I don’t think you would get that reference.

Pretty much this.

I’m really all for leaving a company that doesn’t treat you the way they should. But find something else to go to first. In the meantime look at things that can help you transition to other jobs. Whether that is getting contacts in industries you want to get into, doing some learning/accreditation, whatever.

Especially now I wouldn’t leave until you have something else lined up and signed for. Keep doing a good job where you are, but channel your frustration into finding your next step.

And I know its bullshit that you don’t get the “paid vacation” the same as other people are, but at the same time you are getting paid, so having to work only seems unfair because other people aren’t working. I would be annoyed in your spot too, just suggesting another way to look at it that might make it easier to deal with.

1 Like

You need to get yourself fired so you can collect unemployment. Whatever it takes (within reason), that’s what you have to do. It might be as simple as saying you’re not coming in because you don’t feel safe.

4 Likes

My company skipping a 3% raise has dropped my productivity by probably 50%. No one seems to have noticed so far.

5 Likes

If you have a year’s savings, quit. You can probably cut out 50% of your bills if you try. I left my $750/month apartment to live with my buddy for $200/month. You can do it if you are willing to make sacrifices for a year or 2. Just remember it’s not permanent.

Even if you cut down on stupid stuff, it adds up. I used to drink a 2 liter bottle of soda a day. I was probably spending $500 a year just on soda. Now I spend about $10/month on Crystal Light packets. I stock up when it’s a BOGO sale. That one change alone probably saves me $400 a year. Look around your budget and you’ll be surprised at how much you can save if you try. You can probably stretch that one year of savings to 2-3 years.

2 Likes

You don’t get unemployment if you’re fired for cause.

1 Like