How do we attract new users?

It’s a cool feature, though. If we want to get carried away we could make a Bernie supporters group with a rose badge so that anyone that comes from Twitter feels at home while we bully them.

Do I have a badge too?

Edit: nope

1 Like

Rivaldo should be the only one with a badge because he’s really shit

3 Likes

I didn’t see them before but can see them now

Can you make any kind of badge? This could be fun. Video game controllers, coffee mugs, megaphones. The possibilities for regretful trolling are endless.

2 Likes

There are degrees of freedom here. You can prioritize getting new users, but you can’t guarantee that the discussion will go the way you want. You can prioritize creating the sort of community you want, but you can’t guarantee getting new users.

Getting new users who fit perfectly is too constrained of a goal. Decide which is more important.

Try and get reddit /r/politics posters they’re all pretty much the same type of people who post here

2 Likes

Ya i have invited three people. One posted and got chased by nun back on the old board and the other two as far as i know are just lurking.

I’m also going to say that the best way to attract long term new users is to continue to have a fairly free flowing board full of quality info. It will happen on it’s own if it is going to happen.

Also I might be the only one but this is my new 22. I barely ever go to the old board, havent posted in forever and this is my new go-to place to check 8 times a day. I assume that is true for most of us and I think even if the growth rate is slow that will allow this place to survive.

6 Likes

Likewise–I owe a lot to 2p2, but after the way things have gone (both with online poker and the politics exodus) I’ve given it up entirely. I don’t think I’ve even lurked there since Unstuck, maybe once or twice when someone posts a link to some embarrassing conversation in nazipol 2.0. This site is my new internet time waster.

I’ve invited a couple people IRL, neither lurks AFAIK but maybe someday

Maybe we could set up some kind of system where posters go out and recruit new users and get rewarded for their efforts.

Like say I go out and I recruit 5 new members. I get some type of recognition/compensation for doing this. Then the 5 people I recruited go out and recruit 5 people each. They get recognized/compensated, but then I get some recognition/compensation as well because I was the guy who brought in the original 5. So this system would have multiple tiers, or levels if you will.

5 Likes

Anyone who’s active politically doing volunteer work or whatever might mention this site to other politics nerds, if they are chill.

Looks pretty good really. I’m assuming those last two dips on the posts graph are just nun’s two pity parties.

1 Like

120 daily engaged users is higher than I’d expect. What is that metric?

Hmm who stopped posting around the time the average number of posts dropped by 40%? :smiley:

6 Likes

I have more detailed stats available from Analytics, but honestly they don’t show anything more interesting.

Our traffic flows have been very closely tied to news events and basic calendar stuff. The biggest dips are weekends and holidays. The biggest spikes are major impeachment news.

The main reason we’re not attracting anybody is because we don’t really have any outward-facing content. Our organic search numbers are absolute garbage. The only people who land on the site after a search are the ones who are too lazy to type the full url into the address bar. Since launch we have had exactly 6 clickthroughs from people who didn’t already know we exist - 5 for “politics forum” and 1 for “alice livinart”.
(Stats are for Google only. Too lazy to check lol Bing right now)

kre8tive’s efforts on Twitter have yielded better results, but he only has so much to work with because again, our content isn’t focused outward. We don’t have any blogs. We don’t have articles. We’re just a forum. It’s not something people look for and it’s not something that scores well in SEO, even though the forum software actually has good SEO practices built in.

What we need—which I still have planned and actually already works in a very rough pre-alpha state—is a linked publishing platform (which I also want to be a news aggregator but that part’s a bit more complicated). Unfortunately I have limited time and I keep getting sidetracked with more pressing issues. I’m also kind of exhausted after sinking so much free time into this over the past 8 months and my motivation has been in the toilet lately.

7 Likes

Rookie numbers.

6 Likes

They were all gimmicks

16 Likes

I don’t know how possible this is, but maybe you should document what it takes to do just what you think is necessary to keep the site from breaking - with no attempt at improvements - and make it so you can take a vacation from it some time. Just the minimum, like security updates, receiving notification if something goes down, process to restart the server, etc… I’d be willing to do temporary admin duty if someone else wouldn’t want to and be acceptable. Gregorio could surely do it as well, but there should probably be two admins?

6 Likes

You know a good way to reach the masses on the internet?

Memes

3 Likes