How do we attract new users?

There’s really not much to do there. ggoreo can already do the forum updates if he wants, and other than that it’s just typing shutdown -r now on the server whenever one of the automatic updates requires it, which is like maybe twice a month.

The thing that’s been exhausting me lately is advertising stuff which has been weeks and weeks of Kafkaesque failures including having the Amazon account closed twice (currently active again!), having entire campaigns of stuff that I’m actually sort of proud of but can’t run because the plugin won’t currently support them, and most recently spending hours writing my own workaround for it that still won’t work because all the topic pages are in a virtual DOM that I can’t access unless I write a full-blown plugin.

1 Like

This seems like the most realistic option. One of the best features if this place is it’s a fantastic news aggregator plus there’s decent commentary on what’s going on in the link/tweets. This has been my go-to stop for following things like the UK election today.

One possibility is a model like fark.com, which is primarily a collection of news links but also has comments for each one.

I don’t know about longform blogs/articles. No one here does that, I’m not sure how good we’d be at it.

2 Likes

I have described what I have in mind in almost those exact terms.

Meh. This community should aspire to be more than a meme factory.

2 Likes

I’d like to pledge a gift to the site… I appreciate you guys for all you do, ignorant as I am to it all. Hate to see the best peeps like zz and grego un-enthused and ambivalent.

how does the donor thing work? I’d insist on keeping my current badge, unless the adornment of multiple badges is a thing, so it creates the appearance of an honored and decorated military officer or college football helmet.

2 Likes

I’m neither un-enthused or ambivalent, just a bit tired aorn.

Get with @spidercrab for donations.

1 Like

he’s not accepting messages at the moment

More than? Sure. Less than? Well

I will submit an idea but in the meantime think we should have top minds giving @microbet an undertitle that pays some sort of homage to mehcrobet

Give AOC a crown :crown: and Trump a middle finger :fu:

Or a Russian flag.

+1 russian flag pin

2 Likes

What skills and tasks do you need?

I’m so much less familiar with the 2+2 Politics forum, but wasn’t there some guy there who basically only posted in article format? Like he’d post a title and essentially an op-ed more often than he’d reply to an actual person.

What was his name? Alan Treehorn? Howard Trumpblaster?

Give AOC a dragon since all she does is spit hot fire

3 Likes

Dvault1?

Suggest also giving @kre8tive a Twitter logo badge :+1:

1 Like

No, there was someone else who cos-played op-ed writer/journalist on 2+2.

1 Like

Allan Lawhorn (?)

Former DJ also.

2 Likes

Were you a lurker? How did you end up here?

Not DVaut.

Maybe Allan. I will check.

It’s not Howard Treesong.

That’s nunn of your business.

5 Likes