How do we attract new users?

I don’t know about actual recruiting. If you want to introduce someone who is your friend, I think most people would refrain from going HAM on them, but not everyone. I have a close friend to is very libertarian (for real - he’s anti-police, anti-war, not a Christian Fundie, pro-gay marriage, etc.) on the right leaning side and loves to argue. I’ve thought about inviting him, but I’m not sure I want to have worlds colliding.

1 Like

OK fair enough. I’ll retract my suggestion.

However, while we are so waiting, maybe this might be a good time to chat a little bit regarding what demographics we’d like to see as future new users, and what demographics we’d rather not see as future new users.

1 Like

If he wants to sign up here, that’s fine with me as long as the goal is to have a dialogue. If it turns out he is a terrible poster he should be banned and not be kept around only to have someone to dunk on.

That is a good question Sabo.

So what is it

In all seriousness, I believe we shouldn’t try to make Unstuck everything to everyone. Let it be what it is. There is plenty of room for debate with the kinds of posters and positions this place already attracts.

1 Like

Your suggestion isn’t bad but instead of having some kind of badges we should have a community culture where new users are given some leeway and --for the lack of a better phrase-- treated with kid’s gloves for a while.

3 Likes

Sure, but we do need a strategy for attracting new users. We are currently losing people but gaining no one.

If I had to guess, I’d say there is not much interest here in the libertarian and conservative dunkfests that dominated back in the old country, although infighting among people who largely agree on things seems very popular.

I think there is some disagreement between those who want this place to be more activist and outwardly focused, and those who want it to stay a small clubhouse.

1 Like

I was just using him as a demographic example. He’d be a terrible poster.

1 Like

Okay fair enough.

I think the answer there is the one thing 2+2 did right. They built a community far outside their primary audience of poker players. Similarly, I don’t think Unstuck needs to rethink at all how the community discusses politics, but rather how we build a community outside of the one topic of politics.

Fun activities attract new users, and then it’s the community that keeps them.

So things like drafts, games like master’s walrus or werewolf/mafia, things that are likely to have enough crossover appeal to get someone to dip their feet in the Unstuck waters and then maybe they like the community enough to see what else Unstuck offers.

3 Likes

I think we should welcome everyone who isn’t a priori terrible (eg. a white supremacist, conspiracy theorist). If they are a net negative we should ban them.

When do I get my terrible poster badge?

2 Likes

It’d just be a formality at this point, but if you really want it, we can hold the first of seven polls to settle the matter

7 Likes

What about the guy who had all the pics of Gorka’s head?

That was something.

1 Like

I’m totally at ease with the last few posts itt.

what’s it say? lol

hook a brother up, I want the real deal

lmao one member

2 Likes

hmmm the kinks will be worked out

I’m glad to be the inaugural member

2 Likes

oh my god lol

lol the group has swollen to two

lemme guess?

we need a rigorous vetting process, no willy nilly admittance

1 Like

I’ll happily take one. It would be funnier if it looked fancier. Literally the more fancy the more funny so it can’t be fancy enough.

2 Likes

Am I doing it right?

3 Likes