How do we attract new users?

I think Johnny should post more noodz

Oh, please. You’re a fluff poster without substance. This site has enabled tankies and other types of trolls that won’t attract new users. A lot of you whine about nunnehi typing too much, and most of you are a lot fucking worse than his ass in the other way. You post one line assertions like they’re profound statements and not just propaganda you read elsewhere.

Thanks for the constructive response.

You’re one of the most egregious offenders, Trolly. You cannot fucking stop yourself from trying to troll people you disagree with instead of actually engaging in conversation. I don’t care about being constructive when people like you refuse to engage honestly.

This is my last response here before I put you on ignore cuz I don’t want this to get deailed any further, but lmfao at you chasing lapka away and then complaining about how hostile I am. Literally every single post you’ve made here is you coming in with these angry, zero-content personal attacks. I know you’re still furious because you were dead wrong about 2016 but you need to have a Snickers or something and chill the f out.

No, you need to grow the fuck up and quit acting like a dick. I didn’t chase away Lapka you fucking moron. The thread is there to view. And she was pissing people off. No that you care because you’re only really interested in trolling.

If you guys want to ban me for not playing nice with people who conduct themselves like douchebags go for it. Trolly accused me of running off lapka which doesn’t seem like what actually happened considering others were engaging her well after her and I said ours peace. Yet some of you were shitting on skydiver for nothing more than supporting a candidate different from yours and calling out trolls on Twitter by accusing her of lying about it. Why should anyone care about playing nice or “chilling tf out” when you guys refuse to moderate that type of stuff properly?

My point is a lot of you guys seem to have no self-control and expect people who don’t share your views to have self-control when you dump on them. That’s not ever going to attract anyone besides trolls.

I know a lot of people here are politically active. Skydiver’s blog has got me thinking that political meetings, conventions, caucuses, rallies etc. could be opportunities to spread the UP name brand by word of mouth. Something to think about if you encounter chill like-minded people in the wild who are on the internet too much.

3 Likes

dth not being here is a tragedy

2 Likes

There was only one catch and that was Catch-2+2, which specified that a properly-formed online politics forum should be comprised of more than white males from highly-developed countries. But alas, those were the only persons with the wherewithal and dolce far niente to frequent such a God-forsaken place.

1 Like

To help attract, and retain, new members we should have a ‘nice’ mode user option.

There would be different standards regarding interactions with posters who were in ‘nice’ mode -vs- other posters. Basically, ‘nice’ mode posters would have to be handled in a manner that is consistently non-confrontational in a pretty strict sense. In the vernacular, they are to be treated as “snowflakes”. For example, it would be out-of-bounds to call a ‘nice’ mode poster an r-word-er for example… even if he was spewing r-word-ism, or backing r-word-er politicians or policies.

All new posters would start out in ‘nice’ mode by default.

This would mean that new posters wouldn’t have to be afraid of being “piled on”/etc/etc at this new website. They can “get their feet wet”, so to speak, and explore our virtual culture here, without having to immediately feeling like they need to “defend themselves”/etc/etc.

Also, this should help with attracting, or perhaps not instantly repelling, posters who are more onto or towards the Elephant side, as measured on the Donkey-Elephant continuum. I think we all agree that if we are to have any vigorous debate and a little fun inside today’s Overton Window, we really need more Elephant, or Elephant adjacent, posters here.

When, and if, a poster feels ready to leave ‘nice’ mode on our site, they can simply do so. I’d suggest having a ‘badge’/etc to indicate which posters are not in ‘nice’ mode, to indicate this.

And… some posters might never want to leave ‘nice’ mode, or may want to return to ‘nice’ mode sometime in the future. These options would also be ok and available.

I’m against that on the principle of not trying to solve things that haven’t been a problem. I don’t think we’ve chased away any n00bs, at least not real n00bs as opposed to some fool from 2p2 just here to troll us.

Have we even had any noobs?

I am glad that people are thinking about this issue, if nothing else.

@Bro, where are you?

Sure, I guess not too many noobs have been chased off, I have no real way of quantifying that.

But… why do we still see a significant amount of posters here who have continued to post on 2+2? Yourself included. I’ve lurked over there, and in my considered opinion is that there is still this set of RWNJs over there, and that you folks like to go over there and dunk on them.

The problem I was trying to solve is… how do we recreate this kinda situation over here, so that you folks don’t have to go over there to do your dunking. And, of course, then folks like me, who enjoy dunking on fools too, but who don’t care to do so at 2+2 anymore, could join on in.

So, I thought, what can we do to attract and retain this particular demographic of poster. This is the best idea I came up with.

But let me ask you…

1. Do you think we should be doing pro-active things specifically to recruit more Elephant-ish posters?

2. If so, do you have any other ideas as how to specifically recruit them?

I prefer if we don’t

1 Like
  1. Not really. I’ve pretty much stopped the dunking over there and never wanted to do it here. I post a little in OOT and I’ll be the last one to turn out the lights in STTF.

This

Very good. That’s a question that needs to be asked and answered in our community.

To clarify, I’m not talking about the particular fools currently infesting the new 2+2 politics. They are trash, and aren’t even worth dunking on. I’m more imagining a friend of mine who has worked for years in a back office workplace that lived and died over Rush/etc/etc, and so reflexively parrots that shit… even though he’s never really given it any deep thought, and who is also smart enough to think his way out of his bubble, if he ever cared to make that effort.

Do we want to make any specific effort to recruit posters like my friend?

I think maybe we should wait until we’ve actually had a new user sign up and start posting. Because I don’t think that has happened yet.

3 Likes